Fuel pump relay 95 D90SW - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 8th, 2004, 01:43 AM
alaskajgg
lawrence e nudson
1995 D-90 sw nas 11of 500

Angry Fuel pump relay 95 D90SW

Thanks to Doug for putting me on to this great D-90 site. I have a similar fuel pump Like Twisted90 Yousef had last year. I drove into garage getting rig prepped to drive from Alaska to CasaGrande AZ next week . Went to start it up . It ran 10 sec and died. No fuel pump running. Pulled filter, Back flushed no metal or contamination. Checked fuel pump fuse. it's Ok .WHERE IS THE FUEL PUMP RELAY??? checked inertia switch . it's ok.Checked wire connector on plug to inertia switch for voltage .Zero in key second position should have pump power for 15 seconds to prime injector rail. Checked it while in cranking. Zero voltage still.Looked at my def 90 computer shop man cd rom and nothing there matches my rig . Must not be NAS model. tWO SILVER BOSCH RELAYS under pax seat p/n oo32014112 have brown or orange stripe mark on them. Swapped them still no pump.Swapped out each yellow relay next to fuze box with a new one I had from my Disco. Still no pump power.Where is the fuel pump relay? Should be p/n AFU29130e per atlantic brit catalog and Of course the Anchorage Dealer 180 miles away doesn't have one and they want $65 for it if they did. I think I know what the AFU stands for .Please help me find this relay as I'm hoping it's that and not the pump.Have to be in AZ Oct 2 for a new job. Thanks Guys & Gals. Alaskajjg larry

Follow-up Post:

Sorry, trying to find out how to post this thread. Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey Larry, I belive on the 95s the Relay is under the passenger seat box. You may also want to check the wiring going to the pump, sometimes it gets caught on something and cut or the ground on the pump goes bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2004, 08:52 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Yeah its in the passenger side seat box closet to the back of the truck and driversside. its a cube looking thing, I got mine at NAPA. That being said I had the same issue on my 95 and it was the relay. Upon furthur reading it sounds like you have already replaced your relays....
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:51 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

If you swap the relays around the pump will not come on, you have to replace the bad one. I did this once and nothing so I ruled out the relay and replace both my filter and bump Just take one off and go to Napa and they should match it for you. Make sure to get the right one. Napa matched my relay but it killed my battery so I ended up getting a factory relay
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:01 AM
dante18
Dante
None

Make sure the contact schematic and volts/amps on the new relay mathces the old. I had the same probs on my 94. Although different location I think it is the same part, 8 or 12 $ @ Nappa. I bought 2 replaced both and kept the good one for a spare. Also, check the wires where they actually connect to the pump LR used some crappy epoxy and it has been known to deteriorate.

Sorry Mike just realized you pointed that out already (wiring to pump).
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:29 PM
alaskajgg
lawrence e nudson

Thanks guys , My Napa here said they could'nt help me and it was a dealer item. I've got two relays on the way from atlantic british overnite I hope. Found rwo on e bay from Roversland for 12 bucks. Sure thank you all for the quick response . I'll check my wiring going into the tank first thing this am.Looks like I have to drop the skid cover at least to see it.I hope the relays do the trick, not looking forward to dropping the tank.Do any of you know if an access hole is ever put in the rear floor to pull the pumps without dropping the tank?
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:13 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajgg
Do any of you know if an access hole is ever put in the rear floor to pull the pumps without dropping the tank?
Not in the '97's; don't know about the '95's.

BTW, I had fuel pump problems because the wiring was pinched between the gas tank and the chassis; 'something to check.

Note also different model years use different configuration of fuel pump relays, so if your CD rom is for a different year, things might not match up. In my '97, the relay is in the engine compartment, behind the ECU on the right side, in in a box with another relay (you'd have to replace the box).

www.alldata.com should have wiring diagrams.
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think alldata only covers OBD2 stuff so only 97 and newer vehicles. I don't have any door in mine, and I havn't ever seen one in a 90, but some one may have cut one?
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:13 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

You can buy a one-vehicle "DIY" subscriptions to alldata for $24.95. That what I did for my '97 to get the wiring diagrams, since the CD-ROM I have is for the UK model and the wiring for the NAS model is slightly different. You also get access to the text of all TSB's, etc. They should have the '95 MY as well.
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:22 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
If you have not tried to removed the skid yet, I urge you to exhaust all other options first - the bolts are prone to break and it's a bear to tap them out. Don't ask me how I know.

charles
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:35 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah just use ample amounts of PB blaster. I had no issues when I removed my gas tank skid..
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:43 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I hit mine twice a day for a week prior.... Methinks you got lucky
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Charles;

I sprayed mine for weeks and still three of the bolts broke.

Not to hijack the tread....but where exactly is South Riding, VA?

Troy
Roanoke, VA
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:15 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
A few miles east of Rt28 on Rt50. Know where Chantilly is?

charles
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:54 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
O yes I was lucky....
Old September 9th, 2004, 12:35 PM
alaskajgg
lawrence e nudson

My relays should be here today sometime FEDEX. I checked my wire harness the best I could without dropping the tank yet. No pinched or damaged area in the loom that I could see or feel with all the sand and gravel falling in my eyes and head. I'll start soaking down the skid mount bolts with kroil and rapping them good. My tank is full Haven't seen a drain plug yet ,must be under the skid plate.I'll let you know what happens with the two new relays I'll put in under my pax seat. Larry
Old September 9th, 2004, 03:16 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

I don't think there is a drain plug. The manual says to siphon it out.

Regarding the bolts, the threads on most of them are accessible. If you can clean the dirt and loose rust off of these threads, and get some PB or equivalent on them, they should be OK. It's when grit gets drawn into the threads that people have the most problems.

Unfortunately, the threads on the back two are not accessible; I broke one, and came close, I think, to breaking the other. Then broke the Easy-Out: it was alot of fun (not). Maybe you can try to get some compressed air in there to blow the dirt away. 'should make quite a mess.
Old September 9th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Charles;

Got it! I knew I had seen that. I am getting ready to begin two projects. One in Gainesville and one in Manassas. I have been spending a little time up that way. They will both be in full swing by the end of the year. Perhaps we'll hook up and talk shop?

Troy
Old September 9th, 2004, 08:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Well, you can spray pb blaster on the threads of the side ones, but I don't think there is enough access to them to clean them off (not until you get the skid out ) I broke both the rear bolts, and am still in the process of trying to tap out the threads. Sucks to be me.

Troy, send me an email when you start coming this way more often and we can do lunch or something.

charles *at* galpin -dot- org

charles
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:25 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Lawrence, no NAS D90 has the access panel. However, if you drop the tank you might as well remove the carpet in the back and make your own access panel. That's what I did anyway, and when I had to work on my fuel pump it was so easy.
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 95, d90, fuel, relay