Fuel Pump Relay - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 19th, 2009, 05:33 PM
1995 D90
Fuel Pump Relay

I had been experiencing some engine hiccups (bucking, stalling) about 30 minutes after refueling on a long drive recently. This happened about 10-15 times then stopped all together. Few days later it started not wanting to fire up at all.

Turned out it was the Fuel Pump Relay Switch. In a 1995 D-90 it is located under the passenger seat. This is also where I store tools and a couple of spare towels. When the mechanic told me there was some light corrosion in the relay and that it looked like there was condensation on it I put together that one of the towels I had in that compartment was wet when I put it in there after wiping down my interior. That area on my rig never gets wet so I'm guessing I caused the problem with my damp towel.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:19 PM
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor
The under seat tool lockers get wet no matter what. Unless you never drive in the rain or leave your truck outside that is.
The relays corrode some, and can fail over time. Its cheap insurance to carry one or 2 with you. If you have issues switch... them out, it just might get you back on the road without the need for a mechanic. In a lot of cases, with the 90s getting on in years now, they just fail.
If you carry a spare, and you don't hear your fuel pump when you turn the key, try changing the relay. You'll look like Macgyver to your lady when you fix it yourself on the side of the road.

Email: info@eastcoastrover.com
I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Hutch Craig
97 AA Yellow D90 ST
Definitely - I used to carry a handful after being stranded by a $5 relay in my 1995.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

fuel, relay