Fuel pump or wires?....it runs sometimes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 16th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Mike deQ
Mike deQ
1995 D-90 ST AA Yellow

Fuel pump or wires?....it runs sometimes

1995 D90 with 85k miles. Over the last 12 months the truck would just stop running while driving or when parked it would just not start then run 10 minutes later. Recently it just stopped running. I checked the fuse and relay, all good. The fuel pump would not run, no sound from the tank. I took the shied out and the tank lowered at an angle. I though I would check to see if the pump would run. I turned the key and heard the pump running and decided to start it up...it cranked right up. IS THIS THE PUMP OR THE WIRES? I plan to change the pump but don't want to learn that it was the wires. Any advise out there? I know this isn't cut and dry but just want to get it right, if possible....thanks
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Mine was the pump...similar stuff would happen.
Old July 17th, 2012, 12:54 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

I had a similar situation, but mine was the wires.
Under the hood, on the passenger side up high, there are 2 wires that come out of the bulkhead and go into a connector. My problem was the connector. At first, I would just shake the connection. I eventually fixed it.
It was a PIA locating it because we were showing power back at the pump, but no amps.
Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Mike deQ
Mike deQ
1995 D-90 ST AA Yellow

Good advise.....thanks
Old July 17th, 2012, 07:48 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Mike, I have has the connector on the wiring harness fail where it connects to the fuel pump. So if you are lowering the tank, check that too. The plastic heated and melted causing the pins to be loose. I could jiggle the wires to the tank to get it to start when it had the same intermittent failures you describe.
Old July 17th, 2012, 09:43 AM
BCN
BRIAN
94/D90/#1337/AA YELLOW

I know this may be overly elementry (and as a noob I would trust the other opinions posted here long before mine), but have you changed the fuel filter recently? I have a 94 ST that had similar issues, and finally changed the fuel filter. It seems to have cured the issue. I had a melted engine harnass that I thought was the culprit but it wasn't till I changed the filter that things improved... maybe a fuel pressure test may help?
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:13 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
when recconecting, it is highly reccomemded due to it's environment that dielectric grease be used on all connectors, keeps moisture away from it thus relieving rust and electrical deterioration while improving connectivity.
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Mike, I have has the connector on the wiring harness fail where it connects to the fuel pump. So if you are lowering the tank, check that too. The plastic heated and melted causing the pins to be loose. I could jiggle the wires to the tank to get it to start when it had the same intermittent failures you describe.
I had the same issue on my D1. Always crapped out at the most inopportune times. Sometimes I could jiggle the wire and it would fire up, sometimes not. I ended up cutting off the mulitplug altogether and putting a tiny female spade connector on each wire, then pushing each wire onto the male pins on the fuel pump. No issues since, knock on wood.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel