Fuel pump or inertia switch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 21st, 2010, 07:06 AM
Matthew martin
1995 D90
Fuel pump or inertia switch

Okay heres the deal '95D90 with close to 90K miles northeast US - has not been off road in 3 years (i have been very buzy!)

After sitting for 10 days jumped in and headed out, about 100' from the driveway I heard a thump on the passengers side - almost like it was under the seat - I looked in the rearview mirror as for something I hit - or something fell off (these things happen with British engineering) - nothing - then in less than 200 feet she dies.

Cranks over fine - but not even a whimper of trying to start.

I push it back home - 7:00am - leave it on the street and jump back into it after work. I turn the key and there is no sound from the fuel pump turn the key on - she spudders and then is dead.

I am a shade tree mechanic - so I am thinking the fuel pump went - then I am reading the factory manual and they are talking about the inertia cut off switch - could this have been the sound I heard that I thought was something hitting the underside?

My questions are -

1. is it common for a inertia switch to switch on? And would I have ever heard it?
2. is there a way to check the fuel pump or are they a replacement item i.e. not repairable.
3. If I am dropping the tank, replacing the fuel pump and the filter - anything else I should look to do?

Cheers all -

Old June 21st, 2010, 09:27 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
Silver relays under the passenger seat. Replace both. One runs the fuel pump.

*not legal advice*
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
I think the inertia switch is in the middle of the engine bay directly mounted on the bulkhead ... it's about relay sized ... push to reset.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

fuel, switch