Fuel pump issue or ??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2005, 12:22 AM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Fuel pump issue or ???

1997 NAS D90. A little history on what I think are related issues. Back in January I jumped in the D90 and took off for the local video place to return a movie. Pulled up in front, jumped out with engine running and walked 10 feet to the drop box noticing how quite the rover was, and said man that engine runs smooth. Walked back and of course it had died. Fired right up and no issues till today. Earlier I had filled it up at Chevron put in the expensive stuff and drove maybe 5 miles. Came home and washed the vehicle, not the engine, and later took off for dinner and a couple of errands. Got about 1/4 mile from the house and the although the foot was on the pedal, it acted like there was no power. Happened once and then again. Pulled over, sat, took off and never happened again until after I left the first stop and was not quite as noticeable. The feeling was as if somebody pulled the plug momemtarily and then plugged back in. No lights or anything. Fuel filter changed last month. Any thoughts on this or where I might start looking. Runs great in the driveway. Also, did not get a chance to check the rpms when it happened...Thanks in advance...
jeff

Follow-up Post:

just a note, checked for codes and there were none... this may or may not be of interest. when i turned the key to on which fires the fuel pump, you could hear the pump ok but there was this weird gurgling, bubbling alien sound in my gas tank ...what the heck could that be never heard it before
thanks
jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2005, 09:43 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

The relays in the fuel pump on my 90 went out not too long ago (Or that's what the shop told me, who knows if I got screwed) and it seemed to act the same way, but I got no alien gurgling, just nothing.
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:45 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Try fuel filter first. Your probably due anyway.

Relays and pump wiring on top of the tank are next.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2005, 09:59 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The odd sound in the tank got me thinking, maybe there is a vacuum and air can't get into the tank fast enough? Maybe there is a clogged breather? You do have a fitting on your fuel rail on the passenger side, I would buy a cheap tire gauge and have it in your 90, and if it happens again put the check the fuel pressure and make sure it is someplace around 32 to 40 psi.
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:03 AM
efournier
Eric
'95 D-90 ST

So, I used to have a 97 Disco. So, I'm assuming the two have similar EFI systems. I had a similar sounding problem. On the fuel level sender unit, there's also a vacuum pressure sender for the emissions crap. The connector had some bad corrosion on it. I simply disconnected it and magically the truck ran fine. I left the fuel sender connected... I guess I got some mud up on top of the tank somehow
http://www.discoweb.org/norcalmud/index.htm

The fuel level/vacuum sender is expensive, but I was glad that was all it was. Hope this helps.

Eric.
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:45 AM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Thanks everyone. Will look into the items posted. I'm wondering if the sound I heard was the fuel being sent back to the tank as the system pressurized. It was a full tank when this happened. Put a bottle of LR fuel conditioner in, cleaned stepper motor and have put about 50 miles on thus far..no probs...yet
thanks again and will post if any other problems
jeff
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:55 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Ohhh isn't there a fuel return pressure regulator thingy! Maybe thats throwing a fit? It's located at the end of the fuel rail.
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:03 PM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Smile

Ok, this problem was finally solved. Turned out to be the VSS. Came accross very similar complaints from posters on DiscoWeb. Here are a couple of links for more info on this issue
http://discoweb.org/forums/showthrea...ght=power+loss

http://discoweb.org/tech.htm

At the tech section scroll down to Vehicle Speed Sensor
While you're in there might as well replace the oring and seal on the speedo housing.
VSS: YBE100540
Oring Housing: 571665
Oring Shaft Seal: AAU2304
Shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes.
A leak caused mine to go bad. Moisture will also cause it to go bad. I never through any codes.
jeff
Old December 16th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

Jeff,

Excellent thread--thanks for the usefull information. I am curious though as to how much the VSS unit cost to replace? From reading your link on DisoWeb it sounds like some owners simply pull the unit out and clean it to fix the problem rather than replacing the entire unit. Did you try this first before replacing yours?

Thanks,

Michael
Old December 16th, 2005, 09:49 AM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Michael, i paid $100 for the VSS. No I did not try to clean it. If I felt it was a moisture issue I might have, but I was so tired of the fault. It was obvious that the transfer case oil had got all the way into the thing. It looked like whipped gear oil inside the sensor and it it had a lot of play in it. The sensor consists of three parts: the outer shell, the spinning case on the inside and another seal inside of that, the photo doesn't show it but the seal closest to the shaft which looked like rtv was filled with transfer case oil.
jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VSS.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	4629  
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

Jeff,

Thanks again for the good information. Two quick questions if you don't mind as I am suddenly having a "VSS Malfunction" code problem:

1. $100 for the unit--was that the list price from a dealership?

2. The VSS unit is on the top of the transfer case, driver's side, on your 97, right?

Thanks,

Michael
Old December 19th, 2005, 01:05 PM
48vphantom
Jeff Hoien
1997 NAS D90

Michael, maybe try cleaning first and if that doesn't work...roverconnection.com has them for $92.00. rovercity.com or discountbritishparts.com all around $90. My dealer wants $128.35 for it!!!
Get the o-rings at the dealer.
http://discoweb.org/tech.htm Scroll down to Vehicle Speed Sensor. Yes it is located on drivers side just before the parking brake drum and it points more toward the frame rail...not on top. Take a look at the pix and you'll see where it is..
jeff
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

Jeff,

Thanks.

Michael

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel