Fuel Pump Issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2004, 02:47 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Fuel Pump Issue

I am new to the d-90 source, and happy to be here. I recently purchased a 94 d90. However, the bad news...The 90 will not start. It is turning over, but not starting. I believe it is a fuel pump problem. I have disconnected the fuel line at the filter and with ignition switch on there is no fuel pumping. I have checked the fuse, but have no idea where the relay is? I have included a picture of the fuse box. I have read up on the forum of similar problems. ANY HELP is appreciated...Also, where is the inertia switch?

Thanks

Brian
Morrison CO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0127.JPG
Views:	836
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1821  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2004, 03:09 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The relays are metal, there are two.

If your pump is dead and you buy a new one I would like to buy your old one (long story . . .)

Ron
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:31 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

The 95's relays are under the passenger seat... Is that the same for the 94s? anyone? Brian, you should probably pickup a service manual (so should I!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2004, 09:45 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

It's different on a '94. The fuel pump relay is on the passenger side, lower dash, behind a/c fascia (if you have a/c), just to the left of the ECM. It's a pain in the a** to get to if you have a/c.

p.s. the inertia switch is to the left of that fuse panel you posted a photo of.
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:32 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Thanks guys for the quick info...It I do need to get a new pump I will let you know Evilfij. Oh, I do have the AC. I will let you know what I find out...It will be a while I have the instrument cluster out replacing a broken bracket and doing a little cleaning. Any concerns or solutions to the collection of dirt behind instument cluster?
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

My inertia switch on my 94 is on top of the fuses pictured, about in the middle.
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:51 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Hey guys, I am still at work and doing a lot of searching about fuel pump/relays and came across this Post. Is it true I can not pick up a fuel pump relay from NAPA that will work. If I can do you know the Part #?

Sent: Monday, July 31, 2000 11:22 PM
Subject: [D90] stalling problem

Hey All
With regard to the suggestion of replacing the fuel pump relay--It is not a standard 4 pin relay on the NAS D-90. It is a special 5 pin relay with two outputs and (I think) a diode incorporated into it. It runs both the fuel pump and the O2 sensor heater circuits. If you fit a standard 5 pin relay you will end up with a dead battery as the O2 heaters will stay energized with the ignition off. There is no cheap substitute for this part.

Rob Dassler
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:50 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I got my relay from NAPA but it was a Bosch relay, this was for non OBII truck tho. FWIW
Old December 3rd, 2004, 10:53 AM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

Brian -
Did you get your truck running? I have the same problem. Fuel pump is not turning on. Fuse is OK. I replaced the fuel pump and it still will not turn on. (Ron, I have an used and most likley functional fuel pump available) I located two silver 5 pin relays next to the ECU. Which one needs to be replaced?

Brian
Denton, TX
Old December 3rd, 2004, 09:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Both.

Well either could cause the failure. YOu can buy one relay and swap each out individually.

I actually needed a dead pump which I got from Pendy.
Old December 4th, 2004, 08:39 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Sorry for the delay and not posting the resolution to my problems. I was able to come by some relays online for $9.99 a piece (can't remember website, but have at home if anyone needs it). I just pulled the right one off and replace and when I turned the key to on you could hear the relay open and the fuel pump prime. So, in short it was just my fuel pump relay. I will now carry a spare with me at all times, the problem is getting to the blasted relays with a/c. If it happens again I will relocated them to the engine bay/passenger seat box. I have had the truck running now for about three weeks without a problem.
Old December 5th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would love to know where you got the relay from--could you post it?
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:00 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Chris, looks like you were up pretty early...

I purchased the relays from:

www.thepartsbin.com

They are only $9.90 which is a killer deal compared to LR. I also got an oil pan gasket that I will install next time I tear into the 90. I can not remember the price, but it was too good to believe...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel