Fuel Pump Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
MJager
Muth
Ranger Rover big and smal

Fuel Pump Help

Well I just bought a 97 SW from Copley, I have had it for a little over 6 weeks and its already having problems. The check engine light came on and I took it to the Landrover dealer and they said it has low fuel pump pressure. The check engine light is now off though and it runs great. But the fuel gauge needle is always moving and never giving an accurate reading. If the truck runs fine should I really replace it? I will be contacting copley as I believe it was supposed to have had a top to bottom check by East Side garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Is it the "Check Engine" Light or the "Service Engine" light? One comes on at a pre-set milage to get you check your emissions system, and the Check Engine light comes on for a variety of reasons, one of which could be related to fuel pressure on an OBDII engine IIRC (I'm not as up on the v8 trucks as others around here, esp 97's) . Did the dealer give you a fault code?

Definitely contact Copely, but a "top to bottom check" does not mean it was fully restored. Cityside would have certainly scanned for fault codes, I've have never, ever, seen a fuel pressure-test as a part of a pre-purchase inspection. I don't see the lack of good faith here that you seem to be implying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:53 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"But the fuel gauge needle is always moving and never giving an accurate reading."

I hate to say it, but this is normal. It does not have a conditioner in line so if you go around a turn or up a hill it will move by a quarter tank one way or the other. The accuracy sucks on them too.

Like JimC I have never seen low fuel pressure checked for on a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) and, as you can tell from the posts on this website, D90s are not honda accords and they are 12-15 years old at this point and issues crop up for no reason even on the best maintained trucks.

As far as what the problem could be, if there is one, it could be the pump or it could be the fuel pressure regulator or the vacuum line to it or a clogged fuel filter.

Ron

All this being said, I know from indirect experience that a call to Keith and he will provides after sale customer service that is awesome.
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJager
But the fuel gauge needle is always moving and never giving an accurate reading. If the truck runs fine should I really replace it?
I just went through my own little drama with a bad fuel pump on a 97 D90.

See
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=19999

Just a note about the bouncing needle. Ron is right they usually do that - however, since replacing the pump I've noticed how amazingly steady the needle is now. Not sure why - maybe the shop fixed/adjusted but before I had the pump replaced the needle was jumping a LOT - much more than the 1995 I owned.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The sender is integrated into the fuel pump assembly. Replacing one means replacing both.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel