fuel pump fuse keeps burning, no start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 26th, 2010, 09:17 PM
ditskovich
dmitry
Range Rover Sport 2013

fuel pump fuse keeps burning, no start

Car does not start, and fuel pump fuse burns. I keep putting in a new one, and it burns as soon as I try to start the car. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2010, 09:35 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

You could check the fuel pump. (insert sarcasm here)

That stinks and I feel for you. I suppose that you need to check everything down the line as far as wiring after you check the fuel pump.

if you were to directly power the fuel pump and only if you did not have another way to disconnect the power lead and check it..........
cheap meter if you have it and follow the problem backwards. I'm not the best electrical guy so someone else may chime in
And I love you too
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:37 PM
eliaschristeas
elias christeas
1990 RRC

whats your experience with this truck being a salvage? do you do the work on it? anyway, i would take a multi meter and read the battery, the alternator, and voltage at the pump harness union. i think its a 10a fuse right? for the sake of the exersize - if it were MY truck - i'd put in a 30a for the duration of the diagnosis so you can at least run the damn thing. report back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

there's only 2 things down the line from that fuse, one is the inertia switch and the other is the pump itself. It's got to be one of those two things, or the wires. It's a white wire with blue stripe all the way from the fuse to the pump.

Inertia switch is right behind the fuse box, has the little button that pops up. Fuel pump is in the tank. My guess is going to be the pump. Though you may also want to check the filter too. If that's clogged, it could cause the pump to draw too much juice.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Dmitry, you should really warn people that this is a fresh re-assembly of a salvaged D90 (frame swap and some front body panels) by an amateur :D

Not trying to pick on you but it's the truth and relevant. Any of the old timers here doing this would have got her running with the minimum of assembly to verify everything. The problem you face now is you have everything put back together and therefore so many things could have gone wrong.

I would NOT put a bigger fuse in it. You likely have a short somewhere (bare or pinched wire touching ground).

You could try leaving the fuse blown and run a temporary ground and hot wire to the fuel pump, give it 12v and then try runt he truck. If that works you can at least narrow your short down to that circuit, but I'm not sure this is a given.

This might be a good time to verify all dash lights come on and off appropriately when you turn the ignition on to just verify all the basics are in place.

hth
charles
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You have a short somewhere.
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Oh, and proper fuse size here is supposed to be 7.5amp

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
ditskovich
dmitry
Range Rover Sport 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
there's only 2 things down the line from that fuse, one is the inertia switch and the other is the pump itself. It's got to be one of those two things, or the wires. It's a white wire with blue stripe all the way from the fuse to the pump.

Inertia switch is right behind the fuse box, has the little button that pops up. Fuel pump is in the tank. My guess is going to be the pump. Though you may also want to check the filter too. If that's clogged, it could cause the pump to draw too much juice.

-Hans
FILTER is new, fuel lines are new. Lights work fine. I feel gas smell in the begining, when it just start to rotate the starter.
I might have to drop tank and see the pump and wires. Possibly, wire got jammed, and shorts

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2010 02:04 PM ------

Anything I should do with Inertia switch?
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:07 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Inertia switch sounds ok.

When you turn the key to the first "on position, you should hear the fuel pump come on for a few seconds and then go off. You will hear a "humm" from the tank. if it isn't quiet enough, get you son to listen. Is this happening without blowing the fuse?
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:10 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
How long did the truck sit? Did it run pre-swap?

Could be seized up.
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:17 PM
ditskovich
dmitry
Range Rover Sport 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle View Post
How long did the truck sit? Did it run pre-swap?

Could be seized up.
It ran before swap no problem. Start and evrth.
I had issue connectinng pump when I was getting everything together. I put main harness wire straight to pump, and than realized that it needs a special piece of cord. May be I jammed the connection than.
Will see when I drop the tank.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 09:47 PM
ditskovich
dmitry
Range Rover Sport 2013

I changed fuel lines over. It was mixed up, the pumping line was attached to drain line.
And magic!! It started!
Old February 4th, 2010, 07:05 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Nice job Dmitry!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, start