Fuel Pump?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 24th, 2007, 10:52 PM
SmilingOnion
Nash
1994 Defender 90

Fuel Pump??

Wondering if anyone had an answer to this one...

Was wheeling, had a great day. On the way out, I 'think' I hit a small log that popped up and hit the gas tank region. Within moments, the truck stalls. It refuses to start afterwards, and the gas guage is reading completely empty. Checked the electronics and have plenty of juice, checked the air and no noticable defects. The D is acting as the guage reads, like it is out of gas. Problem is that it is full of gas. It sounds like a fuel pump to me but don't get why the guage would read empty. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The pump and gauge sending unit are basically a single unit inside the tank. It's totally possible that the wires leading into that area got damaged at the same time, as they are right next to each other. I don't remember if they have a common ground or not, but I'd start looking around the impact area for loose wires.

When you turn the key from off to on, do you hear the humm of the pump pressurizing the fuel system?

Another thought, you didn't puncture the tank did you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Do you still hear the fuel pump energize when you first turn the key? Sounds like the wire harness popped loose from the tank. Pump itself is spring-loaded to the bottom of the tank so I would think an impact is unlikely to kill the pump. The wiring harness connects to the tank from just driver's side of center entering from the front side of the vehicle. It's one of those great spring-clip designs. If you lost both the sender and fuel flow I would guess that either that connector has popped off or the log hit the harness directly some how and cut it.
Hope this helps,
-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2007, 12:07 AM
SmilingOnion
Nash
1994 Defender 90

Thanks for the ideas. Truthfully I don't conciously recall ever hearing the fuel pump energizing, so may not know what I'm listenting for. But, in saying that when I turn the key to position 2, it doesn't sound any different than normal. As for punctured tank/fuel lines, that is initially what I went looking for. I thought initially I had found a leak top side, driver side, of the tank, but this was after thinking (foolishly) that I was out of gas and trying to refuel while on a slope, driver side down, spilling gas and of course and pissing myself off. I was hoping to see a leak and put some bubble gum on it. The wire harness sounds like a possibility.
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:26 PM
SmilingOnion
Nash
1994 Defender 90

It was infact the wiring harness. Easy fix vs. a new fuel pump.
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:41 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Excellent. I am glad it worked out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel