Fuel pressure check - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:44 AM
red&yellowrovers
Joe Still
95 D90 NAS 3.9l ST AA Yellow #2719

Fuel pressure check

I hate to ask dumb questions but I have fuel delivery problem and need to test/monitor fuel pressure. ( I also have intermittent fuel pump outages but let's leave that for the moment).

See pic below of 95 D90 fuel rail. Where on this would you mount a gage to monitor fuel pressure? There is no schrader valve. Would/could a gage have to be cut into the fuel line somewhere between the fuel filter and fuel pressure regualtor?

Should I have a pressure port soldered into the rail?

Thanks in advance for advice. js

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuelrail.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	56263
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:02 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I believe a later d1 rail has the same fitting for the intake of fuel...bottom left of pic...and also has a fuel fitting schrader valve on the right side of the rail between 1st and 2nd injector...alternatively you need a fitting that goes inbetween the fuel supply hose and the fitting in the bottom left of pic...I made one out of an old rubber section that screws to that rail off an old junker...just used the 2 fittings to place in line with a t valve in it to access fuel pressure...should be about 35psi...pull the vacuum line off the regulator and it should rise a couple of psi...and there should be no fuel coming out of the vacuum port on the regulator..if you do it has a bad diaphragm...

------ Follow up post added August 22nd, 2012 11:03 AM ------

AFTER fuel pressure regulator is dump off and return to the tank so there should be flow but no pressure...
Old August 22nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
red&yellowrovers
Joe Still
95 D90 NAS 3.9l ST AA Yellow #2719

I mis-stated the year for the rail in the pic. It is from a 93 spare motor I bought to build for the future. I may find the existing valve yet as my real unit is an orignal 95. Have to buy better glasses and crawl under the hood.

If still no valve, I will make a tee with a schrader valve just in front of the connection to the pressure reg as you suggest.

Thanks for the related insight in to the systems ops TRS! js
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:43 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by red&yellowrovers View Post
I hate to ask dumb questions but I have fuel delivery problem and need to test/monitor fuel pressure. ( I also have intermittent fuel pump outages but let's leave that for the moment).

See pic below of 95 D90 fuel rail. Where on this would you mount a gage to monitor fuel pressure? There is no schrader valve. Would/could a gage have to be cut into the fuel line somewhere between the fuel filter and fuel pressure regualtor?

Should I have a pressure port soldered into the rail?

Thanks in advance for advice. js

Attachment 56263
did you look at your pump ... they rot to shit ... dropping the tank is a crappy job but I note someone on here has a pump going for a couple hundred ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:45 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

yes i actually do and i believe it will fit his car too...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel