Fuel line valve cracking - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 21st, 2004, 01:29 PM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST
Fuel line valve cracking

I have a 95 and I have been smelling gas from my truck for while. I have looked at the valve on top of the fuel tank in the wheel well of the drivers side of the truck. It appears that the rubber boot around the fuel line is cracked and allowing a minor fuel spill down the side of the truck. I know the right way to fix this is to replace the boot, however that involved removing the fuel tank and such (something I am not brave enough to try myself). Has anyone else run into this issue, and is there a better way to resolve this? Thanks.

Old October 21st, 2004, 01:49 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
Mine did the same thing - now go back and look closely at the problem, I think you may find its a little different than it appears.

There are two little one-way valves which are part of the evaporative control system - right back by the filler hose. It appeared that one of mine was leaking, but instead, what had happened was there was a hairline crack in the filler vent hose (the approx 1/2" one) and it was leaking directly onto the valve and making it very clean compared to its surroudings.

I went and got a two-way barbed hose repair fitting in brass (from home depot - in the plumbing dept) and mended the filler vent hose.

If it is one of those little valves, I suspect you might be able to swap them out in place assuming you can get the age-stiffened line to let go.

Old October 21st, 2004, 10:15 PM
Mike Hill
95 D90 ST / 91 RRC Hunter

I recently had to replace the rubber vent seals on top of the tank as one of mine was leaking exactly as you described. You may be able to drip the tank slightly without taking it all the way out but the hardest part of taking the tank out is dealing with the seized bolts on the skid plate which has been discussed here in other threads. The hose that connects to the vent wasn't budging on mine but it is not required to remove to just change the rubber boots.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, fuel, rack