Fuel line part - ESR-2751 OUT OF ORDER - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Fuel line part - ESR-2751 OUT OF ORDER

So, the guy that's been working on the D-90 stripped the bolt coming out of the fuel pump when installing the new fuel pump.

I should have done it. I should have known when I got down there yesterday to ask how things were coming and he was using an air ratchet to do spark plugs.

I'm screwed at the moment and was wondering if anyone could offer a suggestion, or two.

The part # is ESR2751 and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Roversnorth... All dealers... AB... etc.... I guess I could get it fabricated but then I'd just as soon take the vehicle home.

In any case, I'm pissed.

N

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/pm-...er-90-efi.aspx
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I appreciate it but did you just join the board ? Don't take a website listing as gospel.

I'm fully aware that RoversNorth lists that part # on their website, and am fully aware on how to search google.

I'm sorry but I'm just pissed.

I'll throw $100.00 out there if anyone can get this out the door today.

THANKS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2008, 01:21 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Sorry for trying to help there Mr. Sarcasmo; find your own friggin part.
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I said I was sorry...

I hope you're not that sensitive...

Old August 8th, 2008, 06:24 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

That is BS, it has nothing to do with sensitivity levels which I could give two craps about, you are obviously a self absorbed prick. If you had in fact been sorry you would have simply changed the language of your post before you pressed the button to put it on the forum.

Therefore you intended to be an asshat which you accomplished.
Old August 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Did someone page for asshats? Present and accounted for!

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:10 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
the things a broke down land rover will make you say. Ive managed to not get shitty with folks when my Defender has been down. There are a few times I wanted to start turning over toolboxes and hitting folks. Its tough having to count on a mechanic or parts supplier when a Defender is your primary mode of transportation. Nicks been around for a while. Im sure he didnt mean any harm. Nick I would have taken my truck from that shop the instant they started using air tools on my spark plugs.
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:13 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yes, the remark was a little sarcastic, but not that bad and yes you are sensitive. It's ok, we all have faults, I have many. There's no need to call me a prick, but if you must, by all means... but have a little more proof than one comment of mine and next time if you're going to 'try' and come at me, Pack a Lunch.

Obviously you haven't been on the board for that long, and I can see the offense taken. No problem, or ill-will on my end. Again, I stated my apology.

I do ask that you read what this shop has done, and the stress level of my life at this point, if you can grace me with some acceptance. If you can't then well... that's ok too.

In any case, Phillip, thank you for your response and it has been a while eh.

Honestly, I've replaced the fuel pump before but I just didn't have the time. I was able to dump the G37 lease, luckily through a family member because Infiniti doesn't allow lease reassignment. I don't have my old fat Fortune 100 job, have left to pursue going back to school full-time, and working full-time for an Attorney starting from scratch. I also own and manage almost 2 dozen rental properties single-handedly so I don't have any time... literally. And I own a home where the landscaping is a job in itself, 40 foot banana tree's and more. I'm not complaining, I dug myself into this hole... I'm just now realizing how big the hole is. But hey, it's a redirection of my life, so there will be some growing pains and reorganization. And now my wife is deciding to rip apart the house and is asking me when I can install the Stranded Tiger-Stripe Bamboo she's ordered. Nice.

It literally killed me to bring the D90 into the shop, it seems that with all the material things I've acquired in life, this is the only item I truly care about. The real estate could burn to the ground and my answer would be, 'lets call the insurance guy'.
I thought I was doing the right thing, I was actually referred to this company All Tune by the owner of the building that the shop resides in. He said they could work on anything, and I believed him. I've done the fuel pump before and it wasn't that bad so I figured an experienced mechanic could handle it, especially when he 'talked the talk'...

They weren't using the air ratchet on my spark plugs, but someone elses, it just didn't register at that time. You are totally right Phillip, it's my fault for not knowing. I have been driving my 1988 Toyota Cargo Van with no A/C, which I use for my rental 'shtuff', and my mother-in-laws Mercedes SLK320 that I barely fit in, so it hasn't been too bad.

So, they ruined the fuel line hose (ESR-2751), which took them a couple of days to 'patch', until I can get the part which is probably going to take a month. Then I asked them to replace the Oil Cooler lines which I've had in a box for about a year or 2 that I purchased from a fellow D-90 Source forum member. So, when they were draining the oil, they broke the oil cooler gasket, and that was another 2 days.
They also didn't diagnose the fuel pump issue correctly, when I specifically stated that the problem with the D90 was the fuel pump AND/OR the fuel pump relays. So, they told me it was the fuel pump, I specifically asked them 'Are You SURE the diagnosis doesn't include the fuel pump relays and they told me NO. So, that took another couple of days for them to source. On top of that I gave them a list of vendors that I use, about 10 of them, and before even going that route just to call me and I could have it FEDEX'd to them sooner. Mainly because over the years I've learned where to get this part, or where to get that part. What to replace OE or what to upgrade. They were a bunch of idiots. I couldn't believe it, especially when I called them daily, and printed out a nice, easy to read document of exactly what needed to be done and how to approach the tasks. They didn't even do the oil cooler lines... They said that it didn't need them. UNREAL.

I just go to that point where I didn't have the time to take it to the only other place I know of that works on Land Rovers in Tallahassee, though more expensive, they had a few mechanics on site, which is one huge lesson I've learned from this mess. Never take your specialty vehicle to a shop that only has ONE mechanic. Live and learn.

So, I've been stressed. Not only all of this but in my top rental property, a nice townhouse which was my first 'bachelor pad'.. I had 3 tenants who were nice, clean graduate students at FSU who started renting a couple of months ago... Well, one of them committed suicide. No joke. I had to deal with cops, forensics, and now the current tenants don't want to live there. I'm in a bind because the bank only cares if the place burned down and I'm coming across to the tenants parents as insensitive. And in my 2nd most high-end townhouse, the previous tenants who were all bartenders left their dog in there for about a week and it pissed all over the place and I've had the carpets cleaned but it still smells horrid. The new tenants are pissed, for lack of a better word. And another who moved from Seattle to take a 2bedroom, well their Fiance' doens't like the place... etc... etc...

So, if I've offended anyone... I do shoot from the hip some, less than days of past though.

The only good news on the front, is that I drove the D90 home today, and smiled for the first time in a while.

--
norros

Old August 13th, 2008, 11:03 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

When it rains it pours, Nick.

Just point out to the suicide tenants that the lease calls for you to attempt to rerent your unit and they are responsible for any loss of rent. Just get new people in there fast. Then go to court for your rent. Any standard rental lease, which I assume you have, calls for such damages on your behalf.

As for the piss, it will never come out - replace the carpets. You better hope it didn't seep into the subfloor. I have never rented to pets in any unit with carpeting. Just sue for damages if the cost is above their security deposit.

Live and learn.
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Hey Art, Thank you for the response.

The tenant relations are the least of my worries at this point. I didn't rent to tenants with pets, but they last few months the tenants got a pet and I found out too late. It's ok, I know where they work and will be filing suit this week.

Now, to the other lawsuit... perhaps.

I was going to put HELP in the subject line of this post but I didn't think it was as important as say finding a hose to put speaker wire through, but hey, you tell me.

So, approximately less than 48 hours after picking up the D90 from this so called 'shop', about 50 yards from my driveway, the truck caught on fire.

Luckily, I was close to the house and just so happened I purchased the first fire extinguisher of my life for the house last month. Ran inside and grabbed it and got everything put out fairly quickly. Hoses are melted and the paint around the bonnet is yellow (stains won't come out) but I believe I got to it before the whole thing went up in a blaze. I was so freakin' lucky that I wasn't another hundred yards away because then it would be toast.

YES, it is my fault for bringing it to this shop. I'm going to talk to my boss, who is an Attorney and go from there.
I'm pissed but honestly just want to drive it. I was so happy for those couple of days I got to drive it, I cursed myself for ever parking her for that long.

The felt cardboard paper lining under the bonnet is pretty much trashed, the paint of course, my Magnecor 8mm spark plug wires need replacing and I'd say most of the hoses under the hood. The washer fluid reservoir is deformed from the fire but no holes, and of course the fuel pump doesn't come on when you turn the key, not that I tried to start it but I wanted to see if it would turn on. There is fluid on the right rear tire, I'm guessing gas.

I called James @ British 4x4 in Jacksonville a few hours away and was prepared to bring it to him because of everyone that's had their hands on this truck, he and his #1, Jake were the absolute BEST, by far. He assured me that it seems bad, but it's not all that bad and the place I was originally going to bring it to here in town, DerMeister could handle the job easily.

Hindsight is 20/20.

The shop told me they sealed up the fuel line and it was ok to drive when they released the vehicle to me.
Another good thing is that when I picked up the D90 from them, I dropped off my 1988 Toyota Cargo Van for a coolant leak and oil change (easy enough right ?) and they had me sign a few places and when I picked the Van up they had me sign some more. BUT... when I dropped off & picked up the D90, they didn't have me sign ANYTHING. I'm guessing that is a good thing at this point because if we do end up in court, which I'm guessing we will, they won't have any recourse.

Anyone with any experience, your thoughts, consolations, etc, are appreciated.

norros.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0982.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	14824   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0983.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	14825  

Name:	IMG_0988.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	14826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0992.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	14827  

Name:	IMG_0996.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	14828  

Old August 17th, 2008, 07:35 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I am really sorry to hear of your troubles, that sucks out loud for sure.

If it were me I would document everything which it looks like you have already begun to do with pictures. Get an estimate from a Land Rover Dealer for complete repairs, so you have a good high end figure to scare the crap out of the shop with. Then I would contact the shop and see if they are willing to make an offer to pay to fix the truck at a third party shop. If not then the lawyer route is the only path to take.
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:01 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Nick,

When it rains it pours, man.

Yes, I had a hard time refraining from replying to that speaker hose thread but I've been rather good at keeping quiet for a while now.

Scott pretty much said it all. I would however try to get get an opinion, from a dealer or otherwise, that states a high probability that the shop's lack of care caused the damage. As a dealer may be less knowledgeable, or interested, perhaps one from a third party shop would also be wise. Ig you can get that you have no reason to settle, especially if...

...you check into the maximum amount you can sue for in small claims court. The burden of proof is less and some states have a rather high maximum. You also save the expense of an attorney.

You have a very good case so if the damages are under the limit I would go that route.

You got lucky.
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:07 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Scott,

Thank you for the sympathy, really, I about cried. One of the problems in Tallahassee is that there is no LR Dealer, but a decent shop, DerMeister which is the one I was originally going to bring it to before the shop of horrors. I've spoken to my boss who is an attorney, and I think he's going to help. Small Claims Court is $5,000 of under so we'll see what happens. DerMeister is literally the only one's in Tallahassee.

Art,

I dropped it off this morning so hopefully I'll hear something in the next couple days, if not tomorrow.
I hear ya on the speaker crisis... Subtlety has never been one of my strong suits. But hey, we all started somewhere right ?

Thank you both again for the support. I'm dying driving this SLK320... it's utter crap and wayyyy too small.

norros.

Old August 18th, 2008, 08:38 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Did someone page for asshats? Present and accounted for!
I'm here too, finally.
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Nick sorry to hear about the misfourtune. I hope you can get it all worked out. Maybe you can get enough to send it to ECR. Might be a good thing..
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Philip,

I wish... Although I do plan on sending the truck to ECR one day, I don't want to be without it right now and I don't think I could withstand their wait list at the moment ! haha...

HEY DJ... Well, I guess then everyone is brought back from the dead. How are ya' ?

Speaking of missing souls... Where is Mike Hippert ? I read somewhere on one of these posts that he's 'moved on' or something ?

Old April 20th, 2011, 01:54 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

This part is being released/shipped from LRNA next month 5/15-5/31 from what the dealer in Jax, FL and RoversNorth has told me.

I chose to order it from RoversNorth as I just have a hard time ordering a product on this vehicle when the person taking my order has no idea what a Defender is, let alone an NAS D90... Ya' feel me?

Ebonics is a terrible thing.

:-p

Old April 20th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

I remember the day you call'd the shop look'n for ideas. Sorry to hear the full details on the whole thing. I left British 4x4 about a year ago. Great shop, just needed my own thing and didn't want to ruffle any feathers opening up down the street. Well if you want to ship it out to Jackson Hole...I started a new shop out here. Drop me a line if there is anything I can do from here!
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:04 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

So, you are updating a 2.5 year old thread? Still have not gotten your truck running from 2008?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, part