Fuel line clogging 110 Tith - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 11th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Tribe
Pablo Cocito
1987 Tithonus 110

Fuel line clogging 110 Tith

Hi folks,

This is the second time it happens going down the highway the truck looses power and runs erratically. So I blew compressed air through the fuel line to the tank and the problem goes away. How do I go about fixing this problem? Take the tank down? Is there a filter at the fuel pickup in the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2015, 04:44 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Anything could be in the tank. I would drain it, remove it and clean it. In high school a buddy had a Datsun pickup that would quit running at half a tank. We pulled the tank and found a piece of a Japanese newspaper in there. When the fuel level would get to half if would cover up the fuel pickup. I would still check to see if there is any foreign object lurking in your ExMOD tank.
Old September 11th, 2015, 04:46 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Start by draining the tank and look to see if you find a bunch of crap in there.

Also, get one of Robert Davis's sedimenters. They're awesome. His 12V pump approach might also help here but you should find the source of the problem before covering it up, so to speak, with a pump.

Also look for air leaks around the MOD sedimenter that's back there now. I had this problem and it caused all sorts of confusion with my new 300Tdi until we discovered it and replaced the unit with one of Robert's. Another potential source of leaks is the fuel filter up front.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2015, 04:59 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Thanks for the kind words Chris... to the rest of you my advise is useful to those who listen.

------ Follow up post added September 11th, 2015 04:59 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe View Post
Hi folks,

This is the second time it happens going down the highway the truck looses power and runs erratically. So I blew compressed air through the fuel line to the tank and the problem goes away. How do I go about fixing this problem? Take the tank down? Is there a filter at the fuel pickup in the tank?
Pablo:
The most probable issues you are experiencing is a stopped up fuel pickup or air in the fuel system, or both.
If the compressed air eliminated the issue, then it is likely a fuel pickup clog.
I never run a pickup screen with a sedimenter.
If you have trash in your tank, you don't want to pull the tank.
You want trash to get sucked up, go through the fuel line, and get trapped in the sedimenter where you can drain it out.
A pickup screen prevents this from happening.
The best chance for getting clean fuel to the IP with minimum problems is to route:
Tank (without a fuel pickup screen ie open pipe) -> Sedimenter -> 12V Fuel Pump -> Engine Lift Pump -> Fuel Filter -> Return Line -> Tank

If you have the sandwich filter with the return line feeding back to the filter, get rid of it because it only causes problems.
You can reroute the return line around the sandwich filter or replace it all together with a spin-on filter which is a lot easier to change the elements on.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Tribe
Pablo Cocito
1987 Tithonus 110

I have one of Robert's sedimenters!! But not installed yet... This will be a great opportunity to do it.

As for the 12V pump: Which one is recommended? Robert, do you have one of these for sale?

I'll do the cleanup this weekend
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:10 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

One of these days, I'll install the 12V pump and convert to Viton hose while I'm at it. I had most of the Viton supplies in a shopping cart on some website but forgot which one.

/
/
/
/
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:17 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
I have one of Robert's sedimenters!! But not installed yet... This will be a great opportunity to do it.

As for the 12V pump: Which one is recommended? Robert, do you have one of these for sale?

I'll do the cleanup this weekend
Google Mr Gasket Diesel Fuel Pump and you'll see this green plastic unit.
Looks cheap, but works great.
Make sure it is the diesel flavor as they make ones for gasoline as well.
I can supply one at my cost, but you should be able to find one locally and avoid the shipping.
Again make sure it is mounted after the sedimenter to protect it from fuel trash.
Do not use the little filter, but again use a straight fitting.

Pablo, I though your mother told you to stop hanging out with that trash down at the diesel pump!
Mine did years ago, so I got a sedimenter to keep the trash away!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old September 11th, 2015, 05:23 PM
javelinadave
-
-

This one?
Amazon.com: Mr. Gasket 12D Micro Electric Diesel Fuel Pump: Automotive

Old September 11th, 2015, 05:25 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
This one?
That's it.
Do not use the little filter that comes with the pump, use a straight fitting.

Old September 11th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
That's it.
Do not use the little filter that comes with the pump, use a straight fitting.
some how you neglected to share these words of wisdom with me

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 11th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Tribe
Pablo Cocito
1987 Tithonus 110

Paper. Pieces of brown paper is what I found in the water trap. Tomorrow I will see to what extent.

I purchased the 12V pump BTW. One day free shipping. Gotta love prime
Old September 11th, 2015, 08:55 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
some how you neglected to share these words of wisdom with me
I told you at the Bier Garden and you must have forgot...

------ Follow up post added September 11th, 2015 08:59 PM ------

Quote:
Paper. Pieces of brown paper is what I found in the water trap
What size...
This will determine if the pickup has a screen or not.

Old September 11th, 2015, 09:59 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Anything could be in the tank. I would drain it, remove it and clean it. In high school a buddy had a Datsun pickup that would quit running at half a tank. We pulled the tank and found a piece of a Japanese newspaper in there. When the fuel level would get to half if would cover up the fuel pickup. I would still check to see if there is any foreign object lurking in your ExMOD tank.
Quote:
Paper. Pieces of brown paper is what I found in the water trap. Tomorrow I will see to what extent.
Am I hearing an echo?
Old September 12th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Tribe
Pablo Cocito
1987 Tithonus 110

Quote:

------ Follow up post added September 11th, 2015 08:59 PM ------

What size...
This will determine if the pickup has a screen or not.

Ah smart! Pieces are big enough to tell you right now that the pickup has no screen... So I could have paper fucking everywhere down the line...

------ Follow up post added September 12th, 2015 05:39 AM ------

Quote:
Am I hearing an echo?
I hope I don't find a Japanese newspaper... Nor one from Afghanistan either! Hehe
Old September 12th, 2015, 08:22 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

If your sending unit is on the side of the tank and you have a bottom drain plug, you can drain the tank.
Once the fuel is out, you can fit a shop vac hose inside and vacuum most of the newspaper out.
Or you can do what shops do and order a new tank and just replace it to save you time and energy in the long run.

So there are 2 schools of thought.
There is the replace everything with new scenario like a shop would to keep from seeing the vehicle come back with the same problem...
AND
there is the this is my vehicle and I can do this on a much lower budget school of thought.
You might be able to vacuum most of the paper out, but it will still be some left.
Spraying the inside with a steam cleaner will get most of it unstuck and floating where you can try and float it out, but when paper is logged with water and or fuel it will probably want to stay on the bottom.
Just a matter of how much time you want to spend.
If it was shredded small enough, most of it should get sucked into the sedimenter and captured before it can go any further, but if enough small pieces make it to your IP or injectors and start to collect into a mache clog then you will have bigger issues.
Also when the pickup gets clogged, it stresses the fuel pump and can cause a failure.

At least you know the problem...

Good Luck Amigo!

Old September 12th, 2015, 10:14 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Looks exactly like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Autobest-12D-U.../dp/B00C59RT30

Old September 18th, 2015, 12:40 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Are these electric pumps supplemental do the existing gear pump?

Old September 18th, 2015, 01:45 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Are these electric pumps supplemental do the existing gear pump?
Do you mean lift pump?
The Land Rover TDI has a diaphragm fuel pump.
The only gear pump is the oil pump inside the engine.

Old September 18th, 2015, 03:13 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Do you mean lift pump?
The Land Rover TDI has a diaphragm fuel pump.
The only gear pump is the oil pump inside the engine.
The mechanical one that's on the RH side of the motor.

Do you have to remove it and install the electric pump? or they work in series?

Old September 18th, 2015, 03:33 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
The mechanical one that's on the RH side of the motor.

Do you have to remove it and install the electric pump? or they work in series?
Do they both work in a series?
Series 1, 2, 2A or 3?
Exactly who is on first... in the first place... score position.

Yes you can use both pumps in the same fuel system.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, fuel