Defender Source Forum banner

Fuel leak at injectors

Tags
fuel
4K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  seaswood 
#1 ·
July fourth I went to the ocean down a long dirt road & came back tried to tighten the fuel line at the injector. Wrench would not fit of which I knew was wrong with some fiddling the cap nut came apart in my hands.
So where to get a fuel line on Martha's Vineyard on a holiday. Well my hosts knew someone whom knew some etc. who had a 2.5 na in a series. I borrowed #1 fuel line that sealed fine after another run to the beach a few days later. This I returned the fuel line by bicycle, do not live there.
& had an set of fuel lines ordered, these are from India!.
When the first line was installed it was off 20 degrees of 90 into the injector.
The second line had a small divot in the tip. Eventually I visited a friend whom had the proper bending tools & sanded the tips to help get a seal.
The fuel does not drip but after a run the lines I replaced are wet to finger.
I have been continually tightening with some luck then I start again & find fuel at the injector.
2.5 na with sedimentier. The line I borrowed when sealed stayed dry!
Not sure about the lines from India they take a 17mm versus a 5/8" wrench.
I was going to change the other two lines which only the rear line leaks & not as bad as the one I replaced? As far as I know the lines were original, after doing the head had some trouble getting them to seal, it was overdue.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Fitting poor quality replacement parts is often the only choice under certain circumstances.
I would be inclined to look for a good set of used or Genuine new and live with the leak if it is manageable... if not you'll need to park it for a while.

#3 ·
Evidently OEM fuel lines are nla.
I did park the truck pulled the other fuel lines the third line fit not great but fit.
The fourth line the bottom connection was off 45 degrees.
Should I try to rebend this or return it.
Have to give the tips a closer look tomorrow for deformation as the first two lines do not hold a seal.

#4 ·
i am now onto the second set of fuel replacement lines, seems everyone is selling the same quality.
I also changed fuel filter & bled at the top of fuel filter.
Tried to start last night with not firing.
Checked fuel pump today bleed on top of pump bottom picture below, fuel appeared to be up to top.
With the hand pump fuel does not go to fuel lines assuming because it would have to go through pump.
Should I be bleeding somewhere else? Turns over fine just not firing, should I try to start with fuel lines loose? Not sure I want to do that, but. Scratching head there

#6 ·
2.5na are crazy fun to bleed. Bleed at the filter first. Bleed at the injection pump bleed port second. Then crack the injector lines and crank over with full throttle. As fuel squirts out tighten one at a time.

#9 ·
I hear the click as the key is turned on, fuel filter bled again pump bled again 8mm screw on top of pump & turned over & over & only so much fuel.
This truck has always been a good starter but then have not had all the fuel lines off with the filter before!

#13 ·
Yes, it is the thing with the hand pump on it. Make sure the hand lever is not down as that stops it from working. Disconnect the line into the injection pump and stick in a bucket. Disconnect the wire from the shutoff solenoid.

Crank the engine. You should get a good flow of fuel. If not, the is something wrong with the fuel delivery.

#14 ·
So if the hand lever is down for example it will not work, that may of been part of the problem as I did not know?
The lift pump has been getting wet maybe due to hand pump being down?
I tried the line into injection pump into bucket & there was fuel not sure what good flow of fuel is but there was fuel when I turned it over I was at the starter.
A wire came off inside the fuel pump green, needs new connector, but is on front of oil filter housing assuming it is separate, but need to fix before I proceed & try again.

#15 ·
I checked the shop manual for the lift pump, i.e. Injector installation & priming system.
There was no mention of turning off lift pump well now I know it will click in the up posit.
Primed fuel filter again & pump again & tried starting again this time seems to be oil at injectors.
Some anyways, starter was getting warm so will wait try again later.

#16 ·
As red90 said yes crazy fun to bleed a 2.5na!
Took several tries after I sorted out bleed filter then pump & shut off lift pump properly.
It runs, check for leaks later.
I think this is why I avoided doing lines & filter at same time previously, lesson learned!

#17 ·
Hey Craig

I'm just coming into this conversation at its conclusion, however I did notice in the photo you had above the seeming total absence of the fuel pipe clamps which in my experience serve to mutually connect each of the pipes together to prevent vibration based fatigue of the pipes near the injectors.

Cheers

Fraser

#18 ·
Hey Craig

I'm just coming into this conversation at its conclusion, however I did notice in the photo you had above the seeming total absence of the fuel pipe clamps which in my experience serve to mutually connect each of the pipes together to prevent vibration based fatigue of the pipes near the injectors.

Fraser
#1&2 it is just below booster hose for brake, # 2&4 it is on the down part of the two lines.
#4 for what ever reason was the hardest to fit as they had the bend off just enuf so that as you mentioned the lines do not come close enuf together to install that fitting to keep lines from vibration.
These lines now come from INDIA & would appear the quality control is questionable.
This is second set, returned the first set.
The other clamp on all four lines was missing & is now installed down next to lift pump.

#19 · (Edited)
Just install a sedimenter, 12V fuel pump, and spin-on and you should never have to bleed your fuel system again... the 12V fuel pump will do it for you when the key is switched on.
Then you'll be able to use your time more wisely.

So the routing is Tank --> Sedimenter --> 12V fuel pump, lift pump, spin-on fuel filter, IP, return line joins with injector spill over line --> Tank.

Part of your issue is some "genius" years ago decided it was a good idea to route the return line back to the older style sandwich filter.
This routing of the fuel return line recirculates trapped air back into the filter where it goes around again and again.
Pretty sure this was to keep the fuel warmed up under extreme cold to help prevent waxing/jelling, but it was a bad idea from the start that went on for years.
The late 2.5 TD and all the TDI fuel systems don't recirculate the return line, it is routed straight to the tank.
Takes a while to catch on.

#20 ·
You are right about time, it is xmod so it does have a sedimentier on the RR wheel well.
But have heard about the 12v fuel pump which sounds good idea about now.
The whole fuel routing I was curious about goes here there & back again.
But there is a fuel leak somewhere above oil filter of which is where the lift pump is.
Getting drops on fore head when looking from underneath & the lines look good but have to look in morning with a clear head.

:hide:
[QUOTE=rdavisinva;764039]Just install a sedimentier, 12V fuel pump, and spin-on and you should never have to bleed your fuel system again... the 12V fuel pump will do it for you when the key is switched on.
Then you'll be able to use your time more wisely.

So the routing is Tank --> Sedimenter --> 12V fuel pump, lift pump, spin-on fuel filter, IP, return line joins with injector spill over line --> Tank.

Part of your issue is some "genius" years ago decided it was a good idea to route the return line back to the older style sandwich filter.
This routing of the fuel return line recirculates trapped air back into the filter where it goes around again and again.
Pretty sure this was to keep the fuel warmed up under extreme cold to help prevent waxing/jelling, but it was a bad idea from the start that went on for years.
The late 2.5 TD and all the TDI fuel systems don't recirculate the return line, it is routed straight to the tank.
Takes a while to catch on.[/QUOTE]

#21 ·
12v fuel pump

who sells the 12v fuel pump?
Is there a location that is preferred? From sedimentier the line run on top of frame mostly..
Would need some what protected spot!
This is row truck.
Are the fittings close to size of stock fuel lines?

Etc. etc.

#24 ·
Is there a location that is preferred? From sedimentier the line run on top of frame mostly..
Would need some what protected spot!
This is row truck.

Etc. etc.

~There are a number available the cheapest is the small green one sold by most auto supply stores by "Mr Gasket".~

~side of the frame rail near the top as close to the sedimenter as possible.~

~Fittings are fittings, 5/16" (8mm) is the correct size.
Get rid of the nylon lines and replace with rubber.

#23 ·
The second set of fuel lines installed, they were a little better, #4 was probably the furthest off. It is off from #3 from the original set. Basically they all leak some except#3 which is dry.
Although the leakage does not appear to be going in a flow the fittings are just wet?
Have tightened each fitting quite well until the pull stops.

#25 ·
Fuel lines

The new fittings connected to injector measures 17 mm the old original measure 15 mm.

Nylon lines you are referring to?

re the fittings close to size of stock fuel lines?
~Fittings are fittings, 5/16" (8mm) is the correct size.
Get rid of the nylon lines and replace with rubber.

#26 · (Edited)
Injectors

Now on the third set of lines I removed the overflow lines & noticed the bodies of injectors were loose. So it ran okay the leakage appears to of come from injectors not so much the fittings something I was not looking at. Go figure.
You can see how well they bend the lines in India 3&4 are not close enough to use a clamp for vibration. 1&2 are too close.

------ Follow up post added October 20th, 2016 05:07 PM -----
Not sure why the photos are not showing???

https://seaswood.smugmug.com/Cars/Parts/Land-rover/n-DXjPW/i-gF9PhsM/A[/IMG]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.