Fuel leak at injectors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 29th, 2016, 11:18 AM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
Fuel leak at injectors

July fourth I went to the ocean down a long dirt road & came back tried to tighten the fuel line at the injector. Wrench would not fit of which I knew was wrong with some fiddling the cap nut came apart in my hands.
So where to get a fuel line on Martha's Vineyard on a holiday. Well my hosts knew someone whom knew some etc. who had a 2.5 na in a series. I borrowed #1 fuel line that sealed fine after another run to the beach a few days later. This I returned the fuel line by bicycle, do not live there.
& had an set of fuel lines ordered, these are from India!.
When the first line was installed it was off 20 degrees of 90 into the injector.
The second line had a small divot in the tip. Eventually I visited a friend whom had the proper bending tools & sanded the tips to help get a seal.
The fuel does not drip but after a run the lines I replaced are wet to finger.
I have been continually tightening with some luck then I start again & find fuel at the injector.
2.5 na with sedimentier. The line I borrowed when sealed stayed dry!
Not sure about the lines from India they take a 17mm versus a 5/8" wrench.
I was going to change the other two lines which only the rear line leaks & not as bad as the one I replaced? As far as I know the lines were original, after doing the head had some trouble getting them to seal, it was overdue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2016, 11:35 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Fitting poor quality replacement parts is often the only choice under certain circumstances.
I would be inclined to look for a good set of used or Genuine new and live with the leak if it is manageable... if not you'll need to park it for a while.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2016, 06:30 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
Evidently OEM fuel lines are nla.
I did park the truck pulled the other fuel lines the third line fit not great but fit.
The fourth line the bottom connection was off 45 degrees.
Should I try to rebend this or return it.
Have to give the tips a closer look tomorrow for deformation as the first two lines do not hold a seal.
Old August 28th, 2016, 12:42 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
i am now onto the second set of fuel replacement lines, seems everyone is selling the same quality.
I also changed fuel filter & bled at the top of fuel filter.
Tried to start last night with not firing.
Checked fuel pump today bleed on top of pump bottom picture below, fuel appeared to be up to top.
With the hand pump fuel does not go to fuel lines assuming because it would have to go through pump.
Should I be bleeding somewhere else? Turns over fine just not firing, should I try to start with fuel lines loose? Not sure I want to do that, but. Scratching head there
Old August 28th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

You can try to start it with the fuel lines connected but loose on the injectors, that will bleed the lines. Tighten the fittings when fuel comes out. Make sure your fuel stop wiring is good and the soleniod is working.
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 28th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
2.5na are crazy fun to bleed. Bleed at the filter first. Bleed at the injection pump bleed port second. Then crack the injector lines and crank over with full throttle. As fuel squirts out tighten one at a time.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 28th, 2016, 01:17 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
You can try to start it with the fuel lines connected but loose on the injectors, that will bleed the lines. Tighten the fittings when fuel comes out. Make sure your fuel stop wiring is good and the soleniod is working.
I did a brief start this morning with lines loose I could try a bit longer?
Fuel stop is where?
Old August 28th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The one wire going to the injection pump. It should click when you turn the key on.

Old August 28th, 2016, 03:09 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
I hear the click as the key is turned on, fuel filter bled again pump bled again 8mm screw on top of pump & turned over & over & only so much fuel.
This truck has always been a good starter but then have not had all the fuel lines off with the filter before!
Old August 28th, 2016, 03:49 PM
PJambo
Parker
1987 110

Did you replace the filter with the same model? I had very similar issues recently and finally realized that I had reversed the fuel filter o-rings in such a way that they embedded in the top circumference gap on the filter and impeded fuel flow.
Old August 28th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Have you checked that the lift pump is pumping?

Old August 28th, 2016, 04:29 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Have you checked that the lift pump is pumping?
Would that be the interim pump between fuel tank & injector pump?
Heard talk about that but I do not know where, so I have to look.
Or is that where the hand pump is?
Old August 28th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, it is the thing with the hand pump on it. Make sure the hand lever is not down as that stops it from working. Disconnect the line into the injection pump and stick in a bucket. Disconnect the wire from the shutoff solenoid.

Crank the engine. You should get a good flow of fuel. If not, the is something wrong with the fuel delivery.

Old August 28th, 2016, 05:42 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Yes, it is the thing with the hand pump on it. Make sure the hand lever is not down as that stops it from working. Disconnect the line into the injection pump and stick in a bucket. Disconnect the wire from the shutoff solenoid.

Crank the engine. You should get a good flow of fuel. If not, the is something wrong with the fuel delivery.
So if the hand lever is down for example it will not work, that may of been part of the problem as I did not know?
The lift pump has been getting wet maybe due to hand pump being down?
I tried the line into injection pump into bucket & there was fuel not sure what good flow of fuel is but there was fuel when I turned it over I was at the starter.
A wire came off inside the fuel pump green, needs new connector, but is on front of oil filter housing assuming it is separate, but need to fix before I proceed & try again.
Old August 29th, 2016, 02:50 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
I checked the shop manual for the lift pump, i.e. Injector installation & priming system.
There was no mention of turning off lift pump well now I know it will click in the up posit.
Primed fuel filter again & pump again & tried starting again this time seems to be oil at injectors.
Some anyways, starter was getting warm so will wait try again later.
Old August 30th, 2016, 02:07 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
As red90 said yes crazy fun to bleed a 2.5na!
Took several tries after I sorted out bleed filter then pump & shut off lift pump properly.
It runs, check for leaks later.
I think this is why I avoided doing lines & filter at same time previously, lesson learned!
Old August 30th, 2016, 02:18 PM
fraser61
Fraser Gourlay
1986 D110 TUM 300Tdi

Registry
Hey Craig

I'm just coming into this conversation at its conclusion, however I did notice in the photo you had above the seeming total absence of the fuel pipe clamps which in my experience serve to mutually connect each of the pipes together to prevent vibration based fatigue of the pipes near the injectors.

Cheers

Fraser

2008 RRS SC
1986 D110 Tithonus 300TDi RHD
1979 S3 Lightweight
2006 ZX-10R

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, get it out with eye drops.
Old August 30th, 2016, 02:35 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser61 View Post
Hey Craig

I'm just coming into this conversation at its conclusion, however I did notice in the photo you had above the seeming total absence of the fuel pipe clamps which in my experience serve to mutually connect each of the pipes together to prevent vibration based fatigue of the pipes near the injectors.

Fraser
#1&2 it is just below booster hose for brake, # 2&4 it is on the down part of the two lines.
#4 for what ever reason was the hardest to fit as they had the bend off just enuf so that as you mentioned the lines do not come close enuf together to install that fitting to keep lines from vibration.
These lines now come from INDIA & would appear the quality control is questionable.
This is second set, returned the first set.
The other clamp on all four lines was missing & is now installed down next to lift pump.
Old August 30th, 2016, 03:18 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Just install a sedimenter, 12V fuel pump, and spin-on and you should never have to bleed your fuel system again... the 12V fuel pump will do it for you when the key is switched on.
Then you'll be able to use your time more wisely.

So the routing is Tank --> Sedimenter --> 12V fuel pump, lift pump, spin-on fuel filter, IP, return line joins with injector spill over line --> Tank.

Part of your issue is some "genius" years ago decided it was a good idea to route the return line back to the older style sandwich filter.
This routing of the fuel return line recirculates trapped air back into the filter where it goes around again and again.
Pretty sure this was to keep the fuel warmed up under extreme cold to help prevent waxing/jelling, but it was a bad idea from the start that went on for years.
The late 2.5 TD and all the TDI fuel systems don't recirculate the return line, it is routed straight to the tank.
Takes a while to catch on.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 30th, 2016, 04:38 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
You are right about time, it is xmod so it does have a sedimentier on the RR wheel well.
But have heard about the 12v fuel pump which sounds good idea about now.
The whole fuel routing I was curious about goes here there & back again.
But there is a fuel leak somewhere above oil filter of which is where the lift pump is.
Getting drops on fore head when looking from underneath & the lines look good but have to look in morning with a clear head.

[QUOTE=rdavisinva;764039]Just install a sedimentier, 12V fuel pump, and spin-on and you should never have to bleed your fuel system again... the 12V fuel pump will do it for you when the key is switched on.
Then you'll be able to use your time more wisely.

So the routing is Tank --> Sedimenter --> 12V fuel pump, lift pump, spin-on fuel filter, IP, return line joins with injector spill over line --> Tank.

Part of your issue is some "genius" years ago decided it was a good idea to route the return line back to the older style sandwich filter.
This routing of the fuel return line recirculates trapped air back into the filter where it goes around again and again.
Pretty sure this was to keep the fuel warmed up under extreme cold to help prevent waxing/jelling, but it was a bad idea from the start that went on for years.
The late 2.5 TD and all the TDI fuel systems don't recirculate the return line, it is routed straight to the tank.
Takes a while to catch on.[/QUOTE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel