Fuel injection system Maxi fuse blowing ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:50 AM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Fuel injection system Maxi fuse blowing ?

Just changed out my fuel pump, fuel pump relays (both with original bosch relays) and truck still will not start.

The maxi fuse for fuel injection located under the hood (30a) seems to keep blowing. Any suggestions on what to look for in this case. I have searched the forums and found no answers.

We checked to make sure the new pump was working before we placed it in the tank and it seemed to work fine. Now that everything is back together, the pump is not priming when turning the key to the on position. The only thing that keeps happening is the 30a maxi fuse keeps blowing.

Thanks for the help as always.

Keith

Doc Holliday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Please Help 30 Amp Fuse Blowing

Ok, so here is what I've got:

When I replace the 30 amp (the one marked "fuel inject" under the hood) fuse with a new one, I can turn the ingnition to the on position and the fuel pump will prime. All the lights and accessories seem to work fine as well. While leaving the key in the on position the fuse does seem to get a bit warm but does not blow. When I start the truck with the new fuse it will actually crank and run for about 3 seconds, then the fuse blows and the truck shuts off.

So:

1) The Fuel injection diagnostic module does not display any fault codes when the truck is in the on position.

2) I do not believe the ECU is bad as the vehicle would not start and run if the unit was bad, correct?

3) Next, I do not believe I have a grounded wire as I can turn the truck to the on position and the fuse does not blow. If I had a grounded wire the fuse would pop as soon as I turned the key on, correct?

3) This leads me to believe the problem is between the fuse box and the ECU. There are a few sensors located here such as the MAS air flow sensor and the throttle body sensor along with a few others. However, if it were a sensor, wouldn't the check engine light just come on? Not pop a fuse, correct?

ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE GREAT. My kids are dying to ride in the "rover truck" and the weather is great. Thanks.

Doc Holliday
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

D-90s are set up with main fuses (the ones in the engine bay) that then feed branch circuits (fuses under the dash). I would pull al of the associated branch fuses and then with an amp meter across the main fuse, one by one reinsert and check the current draw, this will isolate to the circuit that has the overload. This first step in isolating to a root cause. I would focus on finding the root cause of the issue, to fix once and of all time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Thanks Scott, I will give that a try.

Doc Holliday
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

O2 sensor wire was melted to the manifold thus causing the 30 amp fuse to blow. Problem solved.

Doc Holliday

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, wing