fuel injection - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 20th, 2010, 01:48 AM
orionpco
larry burns
1962 series 2a

fuel injection

even though im buying an edelbrock carb im thinking of putting a tbi fuel injection kit on my 3.5 liter.

my question is have any of you guys done this? and does anybody sell or refurbish the efi system originally found on my 3.5 or maybe a later style will work. i just dont want to re-mapp any chips.

my 3.5 came out of a 89 rrc hot wire i believe, definitely not a flapper system.i really want to install and forget even though the system ran (poorly) before i pulled it from the rrc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2010, 09:06 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Not really an answer to your question but I think you will be happy with the edelbrock carb once you get it set up. Add the off-road kit that is really some springs to keep the floats from bouncing and drop the fuel level in the float bowl. Once you get this done, you won't have any problems with it fooding on extreme angles. I have the same carb and I love it.
Old September 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
TBI is probably the simplest system to install on an intake that was not previously designed for injection in that it can be bolted on to any old 4 barrel intake with an adapter plate. To run it, you can snag a computer from any one of millions of mid 80's vintage GM trucks, vans, and passenger cars. The wiring inputs are just the MAT, MAP, CTS and ACTS, along with the TPS. The stepper motor is the same one on the Rover EFI! You will need to run the return line to the fuel tank and get a low pressure fuel pump (TBI runs best at about 14psi) Since it is no larger than a carb and takes the same 5 inch air cleaner, you can fit it under the bonnet no problem.
I had one set up on my boat which ran pretty well. I used a Megasquirt to run it. Triggered it off the coil. Dead simple.

Small gotchas include: fuel inlet is metric inverse flare. There is a conversion fitting that allows you to use AN type fittings, which is what I did. Fuel outlet is also metric inverse flare but smaller. Be sure that you get a TBI that has these fittings still attached or you are sunk. Throttle linkage; I used marine Teleflex ball and socket that will also work with the Lokar type that Jegs sells. Vacuum lines...I plugged most of them. I found a website that showed what they were all for, but I lost it. Sorry.
Fuel pressure regulator is built in and non adjustable. You can get an adjustable type if you want to be fancy.
I got a lot of my stuff from http://www.cfm-tech.com/

I do not recommend using the Rover injection system other than the intake parts. The better way is to use the Megasquirt, 24LB Mustang injectors, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, High pressure Mallory fuel pump, GM type sensors and be happy. Deleting the hot wire thing will let you use a K&N intake filter, lowering restriction.
You'll have to buy the Megasquirt 2 daughter card to enable the MS to drive the stepper motor, and use the Hall effect distributor. It isn't a difficult conversion as long as you have all the stuff. Plenty of help on the Megasquirt forum for Rover specific issues.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2010, 07:44 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
PS one advantage of using the Megasquirt is that it will enable you to use turbochargers with a simple MAP sensor swap. Reprogramming the ECU is done via laptop ( they are working on an iPhone app) as well as real time monitoring.

The other way to go is with something like the Holley Pro Jection system which is more or less the same thing as the TBI only with 2 or 4 injectors. The Rover engine does not flow enough to use the 4 "barrel" throttle body. This comes ready to bolt on and run out of the box. If "fire and forget" is your desire, this is it.
I think they even made a unit for single throat Jeep carbs, so you could do a Series truck pretty easy with one.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel