Fuel hose solutions... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Fuel hose solutions...

Anyone come up with a good replacement for the rubber fuel hoses at the tank and at the fuel filter? My lines themselves look fine, but the connector pieces on the rubber hose are rusted and I am sure the hose has to be getting brittle by now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:49 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Nada? nothing? nobody?
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Couldn't you just install a 95 and newer hose (and hardware)?

Didn't they all go synthetic in 95?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2009, 01:02 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

I guess I was hoping that someone had come up with a steel braided line solution, similar to the notorious oil cooler hoses.
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:05 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I went and built a fuel system from Swagelok components the first time around and that was a lot of effort and expense. This time I just bought the stainless lines from ECR. Replacing the soft lines that are attached to the hard lines requires a crimping tool, so I'm not sure who bothers just replacing a soft line as opposed to just replacing the entire component.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 13th, 2009, 01:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The ones on the fuel filter come in the upgrade kit. The pressure is low enough that you can just use hose clamps on the lines.
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:10 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Can I run the new stainless lines without pulling the body off? I am gonna have the tank dropped anyways to do the rear crossmember, so I figured as long as I was there I would just do the lines as well.

What upgrade kit are you referring to?
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
For just the fuel filter problem, I maintain that its just better to cut the hoses and attach an e36 BMW fuel filter. It results in less connections (two versus four) and keeps you from having to cut your hard fuel lines.

BMW Part number 13 32 1 720 102 - usually costs around 15 bucks from places like Turner Motorsport.

Follow-up Post:

BTW - Ron is talking about a LR kit to replace the fuel filter and the soft lines. Its entails cutting off the ends of the hard lines and attaching the new soft lines included in the kit with hose clamps.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu
Can I run the new stainless lines without pulling the body off? I am gonna have the tank dropped anyways to do the rear crossmember, so I figured as long as I was there I would just do the lines as well.
I've never done it with a body on - I can't see how it would be anything other than a PITA. Its probably possible but I can't suggest a technique.
Attached Images

Old October 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Why LR put the fuel filter where they did is beyond me, what a worthless location. There's plenty of room under the bonnet.
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:28 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

So looking at the upgrade kit I can basically do the same thing with the BMW filter as far as new hoses and hose clamps and that takes care of my filter problems. Then I just have to figure out something for the hoses to the tank. I mean the lines themselves look pretty solid, so unless I have to replace them I don't want to.
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

We do SS fuel lines with the body in place. I wouldn't say it was a fun job, but certainly can be done and does not require that you remove anything (other than the fuel tank).

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
We do SS fuel lines with the body in place. I wouldn't say it was a fun job, but certainly can be done and does not require that you remove anything (other than the fuel tank).
Seems doable, but the f'in clips break.
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Mike deQ
Mike deQ
1995 D-90 ST AA Yellow

Any solution? I have the exact same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post
Anyone come up with a good replacement for the rubber fuel hoses at the tank and at the fuel filter? My lines themselves look fine, but the connector pieces on the rubber hose are rusted and I am sure the hose has to be getting brittle by now.
My work is complete, new skid plate, new fuel pump, took out all the rust and sealed it with Chassis Saver, powder coated the rear bumper AND......I go to connect the rubber lines and notice how rusted the fittings were. Since I was doing a great job of making everything look new I though it would be nice to replace these lines with some fancy braided lines or even just new rubber lines from LR. So far I have found that AB will only sell the whole fuel line kit $750 and the braided line doesn't come in that odd size. The lines will work but I wold like to find a quality replacement. What did you find?
I know this was back in 09 but let me know
Mike
Old December 7th, 2012, 11:05 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
and the braided line doesn't come in that odd size.
5/16ths/8mm is not an "odd size". Hop on over to Fed Hill and find a world of line and fittings that will put a smile on your face, and no way is it any $750 clams. They even have adapters to mate the line to that badass braided stainless sheeyaz.
Cripes Brown, help this guy!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 8th, 2012, 06:40 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

It doesn't have to be that hard.

1.Bush fix; EFI rated, double clamped fuel line on the pressure side. regular fuel line on the return.
2.Bling fix; convert to AN (compression fittings at fuel line, adaptors at engine) and go full on braided hose. Slightly expensive, but will get you the girl.
3.Fedhill fix; make up your own hard lines using Kinifex (nickle copper alloy) lines. Way better than SS and can be done by almost any idiot. If I have to tell you how I know this you are one. While you are at it explore the world of brake fittings and realize that you can be Stainless free!
4.The "Defender owners like shiney things" fix. Go for the expensive, difficult to do a nice job without the body off even if you are one of those shops that does everything *correctly* fix. Likelyhood of getting pipes undone for service is slim. Even if (again) installed by those with *correct* technique.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I did stainless hard lines on the 110 build and they were a pain to flare and bend. It is done now but I might think differently next time.
Old May 18th, 2015, 02:12 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike deQ View Post
My work is complete, new skid plate, new fuel pump, took out all the rust and sealed it with Chassis Saver, powder coated the rear bumper AND......I go to connect the rubber lines and notice how rusted the fittings were. Since I was doing a great job of making everything look new I though it would be nice to replace these lines with some fancy braided lines or even just new rubber lines from LR. So far I have found that AB will only sell the whole fuel line kit $750 and the braided line doesn't come in that odd size. The lines will work but I wold like to find a quality replacement. What did you find?
I know this was back in 09 but let me know
Mike
I love that our replies are like 3 years in the making. What did you ever end up doing about the flex rubber hoses?

B
Old April 12th, 2016, 11:20 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

So it turns out that the fuel hose male ends are 12mm x 1.0 and Earl's makes an adapter which changes over from 12mm x 1.0 to -4 AN (EAR-9919BFEERL). Once at AN you can build your own lines or order some prefab like these RUS-658220 which should fit. I ordered a set and will report back once I have it up and running and tested.
Old April 12th, 2016, 01:43 PM
moceanman
Ryan Hewson
1995 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post
So it turns out that the fuel hose male ends are 12mm x 1.0 and Earl's makes an adapter which changes over from 12mm x 1.0 to -4 AN (EAR-9919BFEERL). Once at AN you can build your own lines or order some prefab like these RUS-658220 which should fit. I ordered a set and will report back once I have it up and running and tested.

Can I get in on this? Are these the supply and return line on top of the tank?

I'm trying to find the inside dia. of the supply and return hoses and the size of the fittings. I have a guy that will make them, but he needs the specs.

is there a suggestion to go braided?

Any help would be HUGE. He wants to make me 6 sets this week so I can help out some others and get my truck on the road this month.

I don't want to or need to buy new lines with these crimped to them for $600 pr.

Thanks!
Old April 12th, 2016, 01:59 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by moceanman View Post
Can I get in on this? Are these the supply and return line on top of the tank?

I'm trying to find the inside dia. of the supply and return hoses and the size of the fittings. I have a guy that will make them, but he needs the specs.

is there a suggestion to go braided?

Any help would be HUGE. He wants to make me 6 sets this week so I can help out some others and get my truck on the road this month.

I don't want to or need to buy new lines with these crimped to them for $600 pr.

Thanks!
Ya so these are the two rubber hoses on top of the tank that are each a foot long that connect the fuel pump inlet/outlet to the hard lines on the truck. The diameter of the hard lines is 8mm. The female connectors on both the hard line and the fuel pump are 12mm x 1.0. Ideally you would want a 12mm to -5an adapter and then a -5an hose as that is the closest to 8mm, but I can't seem to find one.

With adapters and two preassembled lines with the part numbers I listed above you should be able to build and install the lines yourself. The lines I listed are for nitro or fuel, so they should work fine for this application. I haven't done this yet, but I have them on order and they should be here tomorrow. I will take pics of them side by side with the rubber hoses when I have them all done up.

BTW, nothing to get on board with, just order them up from summit or some other speed shop. This is totally experimental though, so I am not sure yet that it will work as I haven't tested it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel