Fuel guage out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 2nd, 2013, 01:19 PM
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158
Fuel guage out

Stopped working altogether. Just sets on E. Would this be a guage, sender, or fuse? If it is the sender I assume the tank has to be dropped?

Thanks guys.

"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." - Arthur
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:32 PM
Michael White
110 Tdi
If the other gauges are working, I doubt it's a fuse. There are a couple of ground lines, though, so check both. You should also check the resistance at the gauge plug (I don't have it for the NAS - sorry). The tank must be dropped to remove the sender.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the
black flag and start slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:42 PM
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team
What Michael said. All of your other gauges work off the same power, so if they are working it's not a fuse. You can pull the dash binnacle, and if you have a multimeter we can walk you through testing the resistance of the sender to see if it's working or not.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:57 AM
Chris Hinkle
More than I need
On the internal fuel pump/level in the defender/RRC, there is a little braided wire the fails. Check that guage works. Then drop tank, pull pump and solder in a new braided wire. Dropping tank is the worst part unless you have a hatch in the tub bed. Took less than an hour total on my RRC (it has a hatch already)
Chris Hinkle
Current project - D110 with extended cab and LS3

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions