fuel gauge ohm range - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 19th, 2005, 01:32 AM
naeirie
Nilo Enerio
95 D90 ST #2571

Registry
Question fuel gauge ohm range

Can anyone tell me the fuel gauge ohm range in a 1995 D90?

Thanks,
Nilo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2005, 10:06 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think the senders for the 110s and the 90s are the same.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...8&postcount=29
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:05 PM
naeirie
Nilo Enerio
95 D90 ST #2571

Registry
Thanks! Mike,

I found more info on this.

FULL - 19 OHMS
3/4 - 38 OHMS
1/2 - 67 OHMS
1/4 - 116 OHMS
Reserve - OHMS
Empty - 270 OHMS

All values are plus or minus 5 percent.

Nilo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I just checked my ex-MOD 90 and got 280 Ohms on the empty line and 14 Ohms filled to maximum level, so looks like they are the same.
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:49 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
John, did the readings you got come from a side mounted tank? I'm trying to figure out what vdo guage to get

Randy

Follow-up Post:

by the way, what is the best way to check mine? I have a meter but no idea how to use it...lol
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hey Randy - I think you need to use the VDO sender for a VDO gauge. I'm sure the side tank and rear tank senders are identical.

I used VDO in the dash, and put the Tdi clock plus 2 factory fuel gauges in the center location where the NAS lighter, hazard, and clock were. The fuel gauges are interchangeable and each one registers correctly no matter which sender its hooked up to.
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:25 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Is there a way to use the stock sender and some resitors or something? I am not tooo electrical savy but with some advise I could do it.

So Jim, you just kept the stock fuel gauges and changed everything else right? I want to get an EGT gauge some day too.
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm not super-electical savvy either, so I'd guess that the resistor trick would work, but I'm not the one to figure it out.

My gauge set-up consists of VDO EGT, VDO Oil Pressure, VDO Coolant Temp, and stock speedo in dash. 2 stock fuel guages and stock Tdi clock in the center. My cig lighters and heated seat switches are in the extra space in the tuffy cosole.

All I had to do to create the set-up was to change out the coolant and pressure senders, stick the EGT sender in the EGR blockoff, and add the extra wiring for the extra fuel guage.

On a side note, my manual fuel switching valves are set up so that they point toward the guage which the engine is drawing fuel from. I dunno if you've already set up dual tank plumbing, but I dont recommend the 6 port electrically switched valve from JC Whitney. Its not what I would call Rover-worthy.
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
John, did the readings you got come from a side mounted tank? I'm trying to figure out what vdo guage to get

Randy

Follow-up Post:

by the way, what is the best way to check mine? I have a meter but no idea how to use it...lol
Yes. A side mounted tank. You use an Ommeter. There are three leads at the tank. One to ground. A second to the gauge and a third for the low fuel warning light. Discnonnect the gauge lead and measure the resistance from the tank terminal to ground.

I think the VDO gauges with the 240 to 33 Ohm range should work well. It will show above full when full and reach empty a little earlier on the gauge. But I think it will be close enough.

If you wait six months, I'll probably get one and report back. I got the Vision series Tachometer and it is so much nicer than the stock gauges, I'm planning on switching them all.
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:22 AM
naeirie
Nilo Enerio
95 D90 ST #2571

Registry
Here's more info in AllDataDIY.com for the 95 D90. I hope it helps.

Test Procedure
1. Wiring - Check connections on sending unit and rear of fuel gauge for tightness and lack of corrosion. Check for ground continuity on black and black/green wires at sending unit (2 wires, one connection).

NOTE: Ground point for fuel gauge sending unit and fuel pump is underneath left hand side of headliner at the rear.

2. Multifunction unit - With an accurate-voltmeter measure stabilized voltage at disconnected green/black wire at sending unit or at rear of gauge (right hand gauge stud as viewed from rear of binnacle). Specification: 10.0 +/- .25 V with the ignition switched on. Replace multifunction unit if out of tolerance.

3. Gauge - Using a 0-500 ohm variable resistor (locally supplied) and an accurate ohm meter perform the following tests:

A) Adjust the variable resistor to 19.0 ohms. Connect one lead to the green/black wire disconnected from the sending unit and the other lead to vehicle ground. Switch on the ignition and wait two (2) minutes. The gauge should indicate in the full range.

B) Adjust the variable resistor to 270 ohms. Connect as above. The gauge should indicate empty.

C) Check several intermediate values as found on the table below:

FULL - 19 OHMS
3/4 - 38 OHMS
1/2 - 67 OHMS
1/4 - 116 OHMS
Reserve - OHMS
Empty - 270 OHMS

NOTE: All values are plus or minus 5 percent.

Replace the gauge assembly if needle position does not match the appropriate resistance.

4. Sending unit - The sending unit must be checked if the gauge tests OK (Step 3). With a full tank of fuel, measure the resistance of the 7 sending unit with an accurate ohm meter (wiring disconnected).

Specification: 18.8 - 19.6 ohms. If not, drain fuel tank and remove sending unit.

CAUTION: Use extreme care when transferring fuel. Use only approved fuel storage containers. Test the removed sending unit with an ohm meter using the values from the table in item # 3. There may be no breaks or opens as the float arm is moved from full to empty and vice-versa. Replace the sending unit if found to be electrically out of tolerance or mechanically damaged.

NOTE: In cases of apparently stuck sending units or when replacing one with a new part, ensure that the float ball is snapped into the rod with the larger part of the ball facing forward (toward the front of the car).
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:37 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Well I would love to change my fuel guage to match the rest of my vdo guages... Has anyone done this?
Old September 29th, 2005, 08:25 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Yes. A side mounted tank. You use an Ommeter. There are three leads at the tank. One to ground. A second to the gauge and a third for the low fuel warning light. Discnonnect the gauge lead and measure the resistance from the tank terminal to ground.

I think the VDO gauges with the 240 to 33 Ohm range should work well. It will show above full when full and reach empty a little earlier on the gauge. But I think it will be close enough.

If you wait six months, I'll probably get one and report back. I got the Vision series Tachometer and it is so much nicer than the stock gauges, I'm planning on switching them all.
This was a timely thread - I was just shopping for gauges. You know, I was looking at those VDO Vision series gauges and thinking how nice they'd look in my dash... do you have any photos of your install? How do they look at night?

One question, though: does the speedo come with an odometer? The description I read mentions trip odometer, but not odometer-odomenter. It would also be nice if the speedo came in dual-unit miles/kilometers since I like to take my truck to Mexico & don't want to run afoul of the federales....no sense of humor, that bunch.
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:29 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jason, I have all the guages changed to the visions exept the fuel. THey don't even compare to the stock crap. They are 20 times as bright at night and very clear. You will be very happy and wonder how you did without. THe speedo has a trip and an odometer. IT has a button to toggle between the two.

I will take pics soon for you.
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy

Randy

Follow-up Post:

Hey,

I have the VDO Vision fuel gauge for the side mounted tank. Same as you have. I replaced all the gauges with Vision, Water Temp, EGT, and Tach. If you want the Fuel one I can send it to you, but you have to come up with a way to cover the hole left in my dash, and throw me a few bucks, or police support for the next time I am arrested.

edit: I found lousy pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010322.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	3943   Click image for larger version

Name:	steering.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	3944  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:49 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Has anyone seen the Millenium gauges in person? They sound pretty cool - different color day/night (see attached). My truck is white - might look even better..

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?...illenium&Cart=
Attached Images

Old September 30th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Tachometers and speedos are the wrong size.
Old September 30th, 2005, 01:48 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

ah, you're right, my bad.
Old September 30th, 2005, 03:23 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
David, I will get you a guage blank off and what ever you need for bail money next time...lol Shoot me an email.
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
I just checked my ex-MOD 90 and got 280 Ohms on the empty line and 14 Ohms filled to maximum level, so looks like they are the same.
I've just install the VDO gauge, 301-105 (240-33 Ohm range). IMO, the working range is better than the stock gauge. I measured the sender when out. It shows 330 to 13 ohms when touching the stops.
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I just ended up going with Autometers all around. They have programmable fuel gauges that work with any sender. Made my life a lot easier, and since they are run by a stepper motor it also has a buffer built in so they don't bounce at all.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel