Fuel gauge gone wild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 24th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Scott Kozicki
97 NAS D90 SW
Fuel gauge gone wild

The needle in my fuel gauge has decided that it's searching for north rather than telling me how much fuel is in the tank. This happened within the last week. When the vehicle is level and still, it seems to indicate accurately, but while moving, it's uselessly untethered. I had my fuel pump replaced over the summer, and I'm wondering if the sending unit wasn't fastened properly. I'm really hoping this can be solved on the dash rather than having to drop the tank and open it. Thoughts?

Old January 24th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Byron Straw
1994 POE/ST
Sounds like a ground to me.

Old January 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
I would start by checking the wiring to the sender as it has a tendency to become corroded and cause issues. If not that, check the wiring to the gauge, but it is most likely the sender wiring that is fubar.
"I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me." - Winston Churchill

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions