Fuel Gage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Angry Fuel Gage

Is the fuel gage adjustable? When I'm at 1/2 tank, I can fill it with 10 gallons of gas... the tank holds 15.6 gallons. It's always been like this. Is there a way to adjust the signal coming from the fuel tank sender to the gage? Also, the gage bounces like crazy. If I want more gas, I just take a left turn...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi you dont say if the tank is the under seat or under the rear load bed but neither tank is well baffled to prevent slosh when cornering how ever it would be worth making sure the sender is earthed as the terminals corrode& can cause similar faults to yours.
If it has an underseat tank it is easy to pull the sender and test it by moving the arm.
also make sure the gauge is earthed in the dash.

regards
Gren
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
Is the fuel gage adjustable? When I'm at 1/2 tank, I can fill it with 10 gallons of gas... the tank holds 15.6 gallons. It's always been like this. Is there a way to adjust the signal coming from the fuel tank sender to the gage? Also, the gage bounces like crazy. If I want more gas, I just take a left turn...lol
They all do that sir.

Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2009, 01:28 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Mine used to do that, until I dropped my tank last week (AGAIN! don't ask) and made sure the sending unit was seated all the way down in the tank at the jate ring. It was sitting just a little above that. Now it reads pretty accurately. I still use my trip counter just like on the motorcycle. Not sure if this would help or not, I have always heard what Ron said and yield to the way more experienced guys on this.

Which reminds me, not to hijack, does anyone else use their trip counter for gas consumption? If so, how far does one go on a tank?

bill
Old September 28th, 2009, 01:45 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
i would if it worked ...
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolvedic
Mine used to do that, until I dropped my tank last week (AGAIN! don't ask) and made sure the sending unit was seated all the way down in the tank at the jate ring. It was sitting just a little above that. Now it reads pretty accurately. I still use my trip counter just like on the motorcycle. Not sure if this would help or not, I have always heard what Ron said and yield to the way more experienced guys on this.

Which reminds me, not to hijack, does anyone else use their trip counter for gas consumption? If so, how far does one go on a tank?

bill
I use the trip counter. Quickest I ever ran out (yes I ran out, I told you the gauges suck) was 156 miles. With mostly highway, I fill up around 180 miles and would be dry around 200-210.

The the original question, let me be clear, unlike more modern cars that have a conditioner on the fuel gauge, in a D90 when you go around a turn or up a hill, the gauge will move around. I have also found that in all three of the ones I had, the top half of the gauge took much longer to go down than the bottom half of the gauge. Maybe 10 gallons on the top is a bit much, but I would get 100-120miles on the first half tank and then 60-80 on the bottom half.

You could have an issue, but unless it is doing something worse than the above, I personally would not concern myself with it.
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:41 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Cool thanks Ron. And agreed on not being concerned about it. I only noticed it because I saw a significant change it how it is working since I dropped the tank. Hell, I haven't run through a full tank yet, so it may be just more jacked up now.

bill
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

On a recent trip from Las Vegas to Tulsa ( A beautiful drive I must say if you enjoy the desert and large vasts on nothingness) I learned my tank can run exactly 162 miles at an average speed of 80 mph. If you intend on driving across New Mexico, ensure you have a gas can because there is very slim picking in eastern New Mexico for fuel. On my fill up in the metropolis of Son Jon, New Mexico, population about 45, I filled with 15.4 gallons.
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

My fuel gauge is off as well. When topped off the gauge never bottoms out and when it is in the red I there is still a fair amount of fuel left in the tank. Now that I'm used to it, I have a better idea of how far I can push it. I get about 394 miles to the tank but I've never let it run it completely try.
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:29 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am using a VDO gauge on my side mounted tank and it is off as well. I do get the low fuel warning light though. when it is on steady, I know to fill the tank and it usually has about a gallon in it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel