Fuel Filter Swap - Figuring out Axle ID - Ideas for Radiator/Intercooler - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 14th, 2015, 08:32 PM
pdsftw
Philip
None

Fuel Filter Swap - Figuring out Axle ID - Ideas for Radiator/Intercooler

Recently traded a member for his D90 and looking to do a little work on her. Want to do a front axle rebuild (down to the swivel balls at least) and replace the older style fuel filter with a screw on type (and replace fuel lines). Finally, I'd like to look into replacing the radiator/intercooler as they are showing some early signs of aging.

For reference, this is a 1988 D90 now fitted with a 1994 Discovery 200TDI. Originally had a 2.5TD I think.

So here is what I need to figure out:

- I cant seem to see/find/read the axle ID numbers. I have looked and I really think they are buried under paint as the front axle looks like it was rebuilt. What else could help me identify the axles so I can order the right parts? What differentiates the axles? Would a picture of a certain part help?

- I will be replacing the rotors and calipers as the ones on there are in need of servicing. Is it worth going to vented discs? I am thinking I should just keep it simple and stick with what's on there, but as I am replacing both the caliper and the rotor it could be a good time to do that.

- I took a picture the sandwich style fuel filter currently on there. I want to replace the filter, but after doing some reading it sounds like I should just replace the whole housing with a more modern screw in style filter like a Stanadyne FM-100. Does anyone have a link for good place to purchase, etc? I was thinking I might replace the fuel lines in and out of the filter as well. What lines do people like as they are nylon and traditional fuel lines? Clamp systems to look for or avoid? I see some people fit primary filters (think they call them sedimenters). Are these just insurance? Worth the cost/time?

As you can see, it's a little bit of a hack job on the fuel lines.

- Finally, thinking a little down the road, I think I'd like to eventually replace the radiator and intercooler. If they are both going to be replaced, what should I replace them with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Get ahold of Randy (A.K.A. TdiGuy) who is a vendor here and order your Radiator/intercooler/electric fan/expansion tank/silicone hose kit from him. Great quality products and Randy is a pleasure to work with.
Old October 14th, 2015, 09:33 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Get ahold of Randy (A.K.A. TdiGuy) who is a vendor here and order your Radiator/intercooler/electric fan/expansion tank/silicone hose kit from him. Great quality products and Randy is a pleasure to work with.
..X2
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2015, 11:03 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Show some pictures of the vehicle and engine, please.
I think I sorted out the engine in this ride before the owner pulled the plug on further investment and left from VA to TX..

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:18 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
On the stanadyne.

http://thedieselstore.com/stanadyne-...es-29888.html?

http://thedieselstore.com/stanadyne-...t-6-in-2m.html

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:20 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
On the axle. First measure the thickness of the flange of the drive flanges.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 14th, 2015, 11:27 PM
pdsftw
Philip
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Show some pictures of the vehicle and engine, please.
I think I sorted out the engine in this ride before the owner pulled the plug on further investment and left from VA to TX..

I'm guessing that's exactly the truck - I traded Adam a truck of mine for this one. I posted some pictures in the welcome/introduction section of the forum. Sounds like you know a little about it - if be interested if you would share (here or PM) your thoughts, concerns etc in this truck.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 08:43 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsftw View Post
I'm guessing that's exactly the truck - I traded Adam a truck of mine for this one. I posted some pictures in the welcome/introduction section of the forum. Sounds like you know a little about it - if be interested if you would share (here or PM) your thoughts, concerns etc in this truck.
No I was wrong.
This 90 belonged to Adam and I DID NOT work on it.
I worked on one that belonged to Bobby who drove it back to TX where he sold it.
Please disregard my previous post regarding the following because it is incorrect:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle, fuel, radiator