Fuel filler Hose...Big $$,Any Options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 10th, 2011, 09:01 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Fuel filler Hose...Big $$,Any Options

I am ordering a new fuel tank for my 1984 ROW d-90. The truck is right hand drive and the fuel tank is under the driver's seat. As long as I am replacing the tank, I figured I should probably replace the rubber fuel filler hose which is probably hardened to the consistency of iron over the course of 26 years. Regardless, the hose (part #nrc9291) costs somewhere between 80 and 90 British Pounds or $150 U.S. What the heck? I checked a few British sites like John Craddock and m+m 4x4... all of the prices seem about the same. Just wondering if anyone else had this sticker shock on this part or had any wisdom to impart. Are these things hand crafted by European artisans out of some propietary and rare rubber?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

It is a pre-formed piece but your right about the price. Once you take the tank out you could measure it and go to a heavy truck supply and probably find a piece that works, it wont be pre-formed but.... You could also check with some of the vendors and re-builders to see if they have anything?
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:12 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Don't know if it would be any different that what goes on an 88, since the tank is in the same spot. That hose is 12 bucks....

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...88-109reg.aspx

I would have to climb under my 88 and then my 90 to compare them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2011, 09:28 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

I had an 88 and it is a little different than the d-90, but thanks for the idea. Appreciate the input. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet on this one.
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:37 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofbones View Post
I had an 88 and it is a little different than the d-90, but thanks for the idea. Appreciate the input. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet on this one.
Call RDS first.. He'll beat RN..
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:13 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

Second calling RDS. got one from George for about half that
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Mike,
a cheaper option in the long run is to convert the filler to the post 1990 type as this has a thinner filler neck and gives the option of a lockable cap, the filler hose is the same diameter both ends and the rest of the parts are cheaper and easier to obtain.

the old type metal non lock caps are becoming expensive especially if you loose 3 in one month, well lost 2 drove over the 3rd after filling up and left it on the tyre. :-(

the original filler hose apart from being made out of unicorn hide had the top part much wider than the tank end, this stopped you using one size rubber hose.

however If your hose is cracked or split where it has been clamped I have a used filler hose in the garage providing a home for spiders you can have it if you need it as its no use to me.

regards

Gren
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:28 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Gren-
Thanks very much for the offer... Unfortunately, I was too impatient and ordered a new from m&m 4x4.
Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel