Fuel cut-off?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 4th, 2016, 10:17 PM
minch77
Minch
1997/Defender 90 SW

Registry
Question Fuel cut-off??

I have a 1997 NAS Defender SW. It's been running great. Two weeks ago I ran it to the store (5 miles) and parked in at the store. An hour later, I returned and it wouldn't start. The starter engages and the engine turns, strongly I may add. It was not getting gas. (It had a full tank) I surrendered and had it towed. Got home, Read the forums, scratched my head, and saw that the fuel return hose came off the top of the fuel pump! Not sure how that happened. Dropped tank, replaced hose, connected everything and it started right up and ran it twice: once in the driveway for 30 mins after I put everything back together and the second time was a 7 mile run around the area. Parked it. When I tried to start it the next night, same thing. I read about a fuel cut-off that may trip under certain circumstances? Is there such a feature? Is it replaceable? Last year I changed out the fuel pump and it has ran well ever since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2016, 10:58 PM
Fred Lobster
Pete Gerbine, III
1993 110 (#451)

Registry
I have been fighting fuel pump issues for a while. I have had times when it wouldn't start, due to the fuel pump not coming on, and swapped out the 2 relays in the passenger footwell and it start right up. I've also had to wire a direct jumper to the fuel pump to make it home on more than one occasion. I have wired an additional ground, hoping it was a grounding issue...no luck there, either. I have put in probably 4 fuel pumps, in maybe 3 years....very frustrating.

I would really be interested to know if anyone has done an inline fuel pump set up, since you have to drop the tank to access it. Not very trail fix worthy. And due to the frame brace that runs directly above the fuel pump, that pretty much eliminates the thought of cutting a hatch in the rear floor for easy access.
Old April 4th, 2016, 11:10 PM
minch77
Minch
1997/Defender 90 SW

Registry
Trouble shooting

I'm going to look at that inertia switch and replace those relays you mentioned. Hopefully that takes care of it. I will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2016, 03:41 PM
minch77
Minch
1997/Defender 90 SW

Registry
I checked the inertia switch and tapped it a few times. It doesn't appear to be stuck and it gets power when I turn ignition to Position II. I checked the fuel-related fuses under the hood---all intact. I checked the fused inside the center console. I visually inspected the emissions hoses and they don't appear broken, pinched, or disconnected. I traced them from the tank to the cannister and to the engine. I recently popped in a new ignition switch when it had this problem a few weeks ago and that appears in order too. Last time, the problem appears to have fixed itself once I dropped the tank and disconnected the power to the pump and reconnected the return hose. Bolted everything up and it started on the first shot. The only thing I haven't checked are these relays that are under the passenger seat. Are they in the metal box? How do you get to them? Do you have to pull the whole box out?

I am perplexed.
Old April 5th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Fred Lobster
Pete Gerbine, III
1993 110 (#451)

Registry
On my NAS 110, the relays are in the passenger footwell...not under the seat. I am not sure if they are in a different spot on the 90's. Mine are exposed, but I think it's because the cover may have not found it's way back in place throughout the years.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel