Frustrated..... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 17th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Worldrover1
Race
1995 NAS D-90 SW/#361

Angry Frustrated.....

I need some advice....

My 1995 D-90 (just hit 100,000 miles) has developed a "chink" sound every time I pull forward from a stop or just as I come to a stop. When the vehicle is stopped I try to isolate the sound by bouncing up and down on the bumper or having friends push and pull on the roll cage or brush guard but we cannot get it to happen when the vehicle is standing still. It seems to be in the LH driver side front wheel-well/axel area. I have had the vehicle in to three different shops to trouble shoot. Each mechanic states "There is something loose in the front end" but no one knows what it is so that they can fix it.

Anyone else have had this problem or have a better idea as to what is going on. It seems to slowly be getting worse. I do not off road her as this is my everyday ride, so no real reason for this to happen all of the sudden.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Race
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2011, 10:25 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Radius arm bushings

Front radius arm bushings. It will make a popping noise in the front end when you accelerate or decelerate. It is caused by the torque put on the axel housing which is located by the radius arms. Usually the loudest when you hit your breaks.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-4...s-armaxle.aspx
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Worldrover1
Race
1995 NAS D-90 SW/#361

Great guys! That at least gives me something more to go on. I would guess some type of bushing problem too, but me being new to the "fix it game", I am just not too savvy yet. Thanks for your replies!!

- Race
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

Just for yucks you might want to check your driveshaft u-joints. It wouldn't come from one side as you described, but it would make that sound at the time you described.
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:00 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Be sure to check the ball joint on top of the rear axle. I had a clunk when starting from a stop and it was a bad ball joint at 87k miles. Once the boot gets torn they go bad due to all the road grit etc.
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:44 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofan View Post
Just for yucks you might want to check your driveshaft u-joints. It wouldn't come from one side as you described, but it would make that sound at the time you described.
Second this. I had a bad rear u-joint right around 100k. I could have sworn that noise was coming from up from but it was ultimately the last u joint of the four.

B

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions