FRS Radio Location - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2004, 09:32 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

FRS Radio Location

Anyone have any brainy ideas about a good place to mount or otherwise place an FRS/GMRS hand-held radio? I just set mine on the t-case shifter boot but it rolls around and falls on the floor and I can't hear the thing. I've been thinking about rigging up some sort of bungie cord between the two roll bars overhead but it sounds a bit jankie. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2004, 09:42 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I have one of those raingler nets behind the front seats, so I hook it to that. As well as my winch control, etc. Makes it easier to hear as I can place it closer to my head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 26th, 2004, 10:16 AM
thelandroverguy
Vince
1997 D-90 ST

You can go to a cell phone place and get one of those swivel holders and stick it to the dash. Or just get an earpiece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Industrial strength Velcro works great. I have it stuck to the Tuffy box on the outside. That way you can grab it and take it outside the truck right quick. I velcro damn near everthing inside the Tuffy also. Air gauge, Hand Held GPS and what not. Stays were you want it.

Matt...
Old November 28th, 2004, 01:34 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Does anyone make a CB-style 'mobile' FRS radio which could be mounted a little better than that? I haven't seen one, and I don't know why no one has made one....
Old November 29th, 2004, 09:45 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Radio Shack used to sell a FRS unit that looked like a CB radio. It had the base unit with coil cord and mic. Came with a magnetic mount antenna. They no longer offer it as I think the unit was higher wattage than allowed or something. But that's what I want too, an FRS unit that mimics a CB unit (with PA system capability).
Old November 29th, 2004, 06:12 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Well, if you find such a unit, post about it here! I've been looking for one. I wonder if there is something regulatory that has prevented this type of mobile unit from being manufactured. I see a few vendors sell "base station" things, which are desktop-type FRS units not easily mountable in a vehicle, either.
Old November 29th, 2004, 07:23 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I think what it comes down to is that FRS was concived for "family radio service". Basicaly a low cost very low watt radio for families and other people to use that doesn't require a license. I've never seen a mobile style FRS. But who knows I'm sure they are out there. If you really want a mobile FRS you might want to talk to a local amature radio club. They could "modify" a radio to operate on the FRS channels. One of the clubs near me took some old fire dept radios and tuned them to the same channels FRS uses.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radio