frozen plastic door handles on '97 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

frozen plastic door handles on '97

It seems I can't leave the house lately without a plastic water bottle filled with hot water - to unfreeze the plastic door handle. Another pathetic LR engineering example.

Rather than start spraying anything and everything I have here has anyone found a suitable solution? Yes, the lock occasionally feezes but I'm specifically talking about the plastic door knob on 97's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2009, 01:45 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

I coat mine in spray silicone. It helps the ice not stick and most times the button pops back out instead of sticking in. Those door handles are the reason I carry a pocket knife all winter!!! (to pry the button back out)

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, I have to say, part of your problem is using hot water to thaw it. That water is going to get it to open, but then it sits there and refreezes. Get a bottle of lock-thaw. You can squirt it into the lock and around the button. It will instantly melt the ice, and it won't refreeze like the water. Also, it seems to have some lubrication qualities as well because my lock cylinder is working better than ever since squirted some in a couple weeks ago! You've probably seen the stuff I am talking about, it comes in a small bottle about the size of a pocket knife, so you could just stick it in your coat pocket and carry it around with you in case you need it.
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

i had the same problem with the big freeze we had here a few weeks ago. i did not have anything on hand to use the first time the knob got stuck...other then my breath. one long hard blow and it popped right out. i'm sure anyone who saw me had rude thoughts but hey, it worked. the lock-thaw is a better long term solution though so go with that
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I use water in an emergency. Heated in the microwave, a little does wonders. You can hear the plastic crackling while it expands. The heater then takes care of any refreezing.

FYI, Lock-thaw is just alcohol:

http://www2.itap.purdue.edu/msds/docs/9967.pdf

98% isopropyl alcohol. I'd rather not carry one around with me.

I'd prefer a more semi-permanent solution so I'll try the silicone - happen to have a bit of it.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Ya'll lock your rovers?

....just kidding. i guess i would too with a hardtop.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:54 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Either way...you still have to press the button. That's where LR engineering gets ya! Idiots!
Old January 16th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

And here I was thinking I was the only one! I swear, I'd LOVE to just swap for the older style doors with the lift up handle, instead of the pushbutton.

Good tip on the silicone though, I'll have to give that a try. Now that I finally got my wipers to wipe when cold, it's time to work on the door problem.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:01 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Hans, see my post on my problem with pull-up door handles. It's not as rosey a world as you think.

Wipers...another pathetic attempt of auto engineering by our LR friends. I swear these must be the most inept, underpowered wiper motors on the planet! When I'm in a normal car I always think how bad these wipers are. Too bad there's no room back there to fab up some real solid mechanisms.
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
I use water in an emergency. Heated in the microwave, a little does wonders. You can hear the plastic crackling while it expands. The heater then takes care of any refreezing.

FYI, Lock-thaw is just alcohol:

http://www2.itap.purdue.edu/msds/docs/9967.pdf

98% isopropyl alcohol. I'd rather not carry one around with me.

I'd prefer a more semi-permanent solution so I'll try the silicone - happen to have a bit of it.
Thats what I always thought, but it sure made the lock work easily and freely after squirting a little bit in there. Also, since I used it the first time the handles have not frozen up again (and we've gotten about a 1.5' of snow and the temp is presently -8 here with a windchill of -40!)
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:05 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I simply use my thumb to heat/melt anything off the button prior to pushing, but I always have something on hand to pry it back out for the few occasions it sticks. I would be very interested in hearing if anyone has improved the wipers though.
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Andrew, interesting. I wouldn't expect the alcohol to have a lasting effect but who knows.

Matt, there is never any ice on the outside of the button - at least in my experiences. It always sticks once you press it. Either there's moisture inside or the plastic's tolerances are too tight and contraction in the cold causes it to stick. I really don't think it's moisture I mean, it hasn't rained, no snow on the handle, yet it's stuck.

As for the wipers, I think the solution lies in a custom dash: fab one up that is mostly closed, not an open parcel tray as in stock. That allows you to stick some serious hardware inside: basically a real motor and a metal bar connecting the two wipers - as in all modern wipers, no cables!
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I have a little pressurized bottle of alcohol as well. I carry it around in the winter. I only had to use it 2 or 3 times this year. It works fine and seems to leave alcohol inside the lock cylinder too for a couple days. I 've used it on the top of the button too...Spray Silicone...now there's an idea! I'll have to try that next time.
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:40 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

didn't realize you guys had to push a button. Learn something new every day. Are the old style interchangeable? Don't ever lock mine but never have had trouble opening it. It was -1 and snowing this morning.
And I love you too
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:08 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

WD-40 displaces water as well. Learned that trick on the tail gate of the RRC
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
didn't realize you guys had to push a button. Learn something new every day. Are the old style interchangeable? Don't ever lock mine but never have had trouble opening it. It was -1 and snowing this morning.
No, SW doors don't have that pocket for the latch handle. You could put soft top doors on, but then there are more wind noises and drafts...
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have had good luck on my other rovers with WD 40 followed by Wurth HHS 2000 (coagulating lube spray)
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
No, SW doors don't have that pocket for the latch handle. You could put soft top doors on, but then there are more wind noises and drafts...
The early 80's doors, not sure exactly what years, had roll up windows and the lift up latches on them.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
97, door