Frozen Coolant - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Frozen Coolant

As the picture indicates, it was -19 this morning, but the truck started up fine with block heater installed. Started down the road, and it started to overheat, so I pulled over, popped the hood and started checking things out. Top hose was hot and hard, but cold at the radiator. I got it into a shop, let it sit while squeezing the hose, and it worked itself out.

Any ideas on how to keep this from happening again tonight? Would a blanket over the radiator help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img012.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	7903  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I was in your town this weekend....stayed at the Hotel Jerome.
Hoped to see a defender, but not a one. We did see alot of FJ 40's.

Yes it was cold there, didn't it get down to 9 degrees Sat?
Did you have some water mixed, was it burped?
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:57 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Got a radiator muff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Nope. I was wondering if slipping carboard in front of the rad might help. We don't usually get that cold, and it hopefully won't last until March.
Old January 15th, 2007, 07:31 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I would imagine that a radiator muff might be well worth the $40. Chances are you could use it in the future anyways.
Old January 15th, 2007, 08:26 PM
aloharover
Peter
1970 Series IIa 105

Rad muff won't help to prevent the rad from freezing over night. They are intended to limit airflow through the rad when driving.
Or do you think the contents of the rad were liquid until you started driving?

Block heater-is that an oil heater or coolant heater?
If the later, it is still possible that it doesn't put out enough to effect the rad.

Check the af-water ratio. You can get a device from any parts store that will let you sample the contents. Most likely the AF is low.
Old January 15th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

I think it froze up as I started driving, down a hill, low RPM's.

I'm thinking you may be correct on the AF mixture. I just replaced the coolant after removing the condensor last weekend.

The block heater is an oil heater, which is likely the only reason it started.

I secured some shop space for the evening so I'm good for tonight, but I will keep an eye on it. Absolutely shocking to watch the temp guage go to the right when the entire inside of your truck is frosted.
Old January 15th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

To be honest, it's just damned hard to keep a truck from freezing solid in weather that cold unless kept inside a garage.

Even if the block heater is able to thaw out the coolant and oil in the block, the stuff in the radiator is too far separated to keep from freezing. You need to be very careful about the ratio of antifreeze in there, and you may need to go with a higher percentage of anti-freeze in the mix.

I'm actually surprised it even started, it's amazing how little power a car battery can put out when it's that cold.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

How about your thermostat ?

How old is the thermostat.

I have not worked a whole lot on the Rover V8 but from my basic understanding of things that is where I would look.

We get realy cold weather up here, usualy around -20 celcius during a couple of weeks and some -30 celcius here and there but a rad to freeze up. Never seen it hapen. I would check your coolant mix for the approprat temprature and also check for a bad thermostat.

A Webasto heater or a block heater is always a good thing.

My 0.02 cent. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old January 16th, 2007, 03:05 PM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

I see this has already written about, but I would immediately check the % of coolant to water. With a mixture of 1:1 your system is protected to at least -40F. Your cooolant should never freeze up when the engine is running. Would hate to see a LR engine destroyed.
Old January 16th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

New thermostat last summer with about 9,000 miles on it. When I cracked the cap yesterday, I did lose some coolant from the pressure, so I refilled with 100% coolant as I think the ratio may have been off. Keep your fingers crossed and I'll let you know tomorrow.

Signed, no warm shop tonight.
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:39 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameek
I see this has already written about, but I would immediately check the % of coolant to water. With a mixture of 1:1 your system is protected to at least -40F. Your cooolant should never freeze up when the engine is running. Would hate to see a LR engine destroyed.
Yes, you can even use 100% antifreeze during such cold weather. It was -29 in Steamboat last night and my antifreeze was fine here... stayed nice and fluid-like and even had a hint of warm air pouring into the cab.
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...001648/c-10101
Perhaps one of these might help! I use a mag unit on the oil pan but that only gives warm oil.
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

I think topping off with straight coolant probably solved it. No issues this morning at -11. I like the idea of the JC Whitney heater, as I have a magnetic oil heater and you're right: it only heats the oil.
Old January 17th, 2007, 03:54 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

For like $30 you can buy a rover block heater from the dealer. There are two styles, one replaces a core plug the other I forget how it works.
Old January 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
For like $30 you can buy a rover block heater from the dealer. There are two styles, one replaces a core plug the other I forget how it works.
the recirc ones are better

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant