Frost...brrr - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:45 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Frost...brrr

Well, winter has returned to Chicago with a vengeance. The windows on the inside of the fiberglass top not only are fogging up, they are frosting over. Any tricks out there that can allow me to actually see out my windows? I've actually been scraping the inside, which seems really...wrong.

I was going to try some rain-x products this weekend, however I'm worried that I need to start with a dry clean surface, which should happen sometime in May.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2012, 12:06 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Maybe you could put a small space heater on a timer in the back... So it would be clear when it is time to go.

Old January 21st, 2012, 01:55 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Maybe you could put a small space heater on a timer in the back... So it would be clear when it is time to go.

This works great up here in the cold, just we carefull how much snow etc you bring into the cab with you and it will stay frost free. I mounted mine with heavy velcro to the rear corner and in about 40 minutes its toasty warm inside and stays clear the whole day.
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2012, 02:26 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka rover View Post
This works great up here in the cold, just we carefull how much snow etc you bring into the cab with you and it will stay frost free. I mounted mine with heavy velcro to the rear corner and in about 40 minutes its toasty warm inside and stays clear the whole day.
Interesting, but 40 minutes is twice as long as most of my trips. That said, I suppose a testimonial from Alaska holds weight. What kind of heater? Ceramic? Cig Lighter or hard wired?
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:54 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Check out west marine's selection of space heaters. I saw a cig lighter ceramic defogger. It had only two reviews one good and one that complained that the suction cup didn't hold, but I'm sure you could rig something up to solve that.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...9298&langId=-1

Also if you want something when it's parked here is a video with two products that may help. I have the dehumidifier in the video and leave it in my boat during the fall before layup and it keeps things just warm enough so condensation doesn't form which wold keep frost away. I might pick up that other heater in the video as it has a thermostat.

Old January 21st, 2012, 05:29 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post
Interesting, but 40 minutes is twice as long as most of my trips. That said, I suppose a testimonial from Alaska holds weight. What kind of heater? Ceramic? Cig Lighter or hard wired?
I would start off with an electric one, a heavy duty timer and a good out door extension cord. And if you want an extra layer of protection, Change out your outlet in/by your garage to a GFI.

Old January 21st, 2012, 06:59 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I would start off with an electric one, a heavy duty timer and a good out door extension cord. And if you want an extra layer of protection, Change out your outlet in/by your garage to a GFI.
Exactly

On a timer to start heating 20-40 minutes depending on temp range before you leave for work!

I use a small 1500 watt electric that has a built in fan to blow the heat around. On ours we left the heater cord out side the door closed it in the weather stripe cord is thin and plugged it in to timer and bada bing! you are warm in the morning when you leave.

Ed
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

Old January 21st, 2012, 09:23 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Buy a range rover or a badger
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:20 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Buy a range rover or a badger

How would a badger be any better than his hardtop? Range Rovers have heated seats and cost less than a badger.

Old January 21st, 2012, 10:36 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I think he means the animal badger... don't give it any water and as the condensation forms on the windows the badger will be forced to lick it off...keeping the windows frost free...now you just have to deal with the badger crap...
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:47 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

So actually, I bought some of that anti-fog/frost shit that's supposed to be used on the outside. Some sort of poly-glycol or something. Applied liberally on the inside of the truck, has kept the frost at bay.

However, at the risk of hijacking my own thread, I'm finding that in below freezing conditions, I have almost no heat. I know the "It's a Defender, get used to it" contingent will say, well..."It's a Defender, get used to it" however, I'm not even getting the temp gauge to the middle, even after a 1/2 hour of driving. Does this portend for some greater engine related problems? I know the PO had a muff on the grill (which has since disintegrated), but with a big monster V8, shouldn't this thing be kicking out a lot of heat?
Old February 12th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
With the prep I have done in my 110, once I get my 110 warm, it's stays warm for a long time with little effort.
-Putting insulation in the roof between the headliner made the most dramatic difference in keeping it warm.
-Also checking the wiring to your heater blower for poor connection and any loss of voltage has an effect on fan power. remember that the fan is controlled by a ground that runs through the switch on the dash. bad ground means slow fan.
-The opening of the bulkhead hole that the fan moves air through was pretty dramatic.
-For $100/seat, you can easily add heated seats in about 2hrs. this not only gives you quick way to escape the cold when you first drive away, but I also find that they add to the ambient heat a bit when you have proper insulation.
-Another dramatic loss of heat that is easily overlooked is air movement through unblocked holes in the firewall as well as gaps in wiring grommets. use automotive putty to close up the gaps, and replace worn plugs and grommets.
-check and adjust you heater matrix cable to make sure that when you adjust to hot, it is adjusted all the way. it's a simple check.
-check and adjust doors and door seals to make sure you have no gaps.
-you may want to backflush your heater matrix if there is poor circulation in it. also easy to do.
Finally, if someone offers you a free Webasto or Espar, don't say NO! It is so nice going out to my 110 when it is freezing out, opening the door, and being hit by that wave of 70 deg heat!
Old February 12th, 2012, 10:57 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

For REALLY cold temps, a radiator muff on a V8 truck actually lets them produce more heat.

Also, go under the bonnet and make sure you flap is opening all the way when you move it to heat (you can see where the cable for the lever goes on the heater box). When I first got Bryson, I froze along with poor Puppy (RIP) when we drove to back to western new york for christmas. When I got to look at it, I realized the flap did not open all the way. Once I move it all the way open manually, I got a barely acceptable level of heat. Now I just move the flap all the way at the beginning of winter and it works ok.
Old February 12th, 2012, 11:24 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

All good points. I have new seals, and the top is as well sealed as it's going to get. The vent is wide open, and the fan is blowing. When it get's to operating temperatures, I can feel the heat in the windshield vent, and it does an OK job keeping the windshield defrosted. That said, in uber-cold weather, it's not even getting to operating temperature. The air blowing out is cool, not warm, which negates all the insulation and new rubber and everything.

If I had a diesel, I think the Webato would be awesome.

I'm just thinking spring.
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
If your gasser isn't getting up to temp, then radiator muff, and correct working T-stat and viscous fan clutch is what you need.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

They make Gas Webasto's

http://techwebasto.com/heater_main/G...t/5001260A.pdf

And they work great.
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:40 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

For the windscreen fog problems I have one of heated windshields, works great (link below). Rest of the 90 is still freezing but I can see out! I'm looking at the ESPAR heater for heating up the inside, probably try and get one for next winter though.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...creen-kit.aspx
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:43 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Heated windscreen from Ricky Evans. I have the ones for the Series and they are very nice. Excellent shipping and fast service. At 135.00 plus shipping they are very reasonably priced.

You can get applied wire defrosters for the rear and side windows. I got one from the web for thirty bucks that is nine rows.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:53 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Heated windscreen from Ricky Evans. I have the ones for the Series and they are very nice. Excellent shipping and fast service. At 135.00 plus shipping they are very reasonably priced.

How much was yours shipped?
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:02 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
wow I wonder if those would fit my S1..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions