Frontrunner Rack - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 19th, 2013, 01:34 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Frontrunner Rack

Hi all,

Looking at some racks to put on my 90 (UK spec) not really seen anything for frontrunner reviews so wondering who has one and how they like it, or other racks people like??

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have two Front Runner racks. One for a D90 for sale actually. PM me if you're interested. Best rack you can buy IMO. The one I have for sale is the Wind Cheetah which was welded as one piece. Very strong and light weight. You can almost lift it by yourself. For me it was very important to keep the weight as low as possible up top (no anti-sway bars). No need to have an extra 100lbs of steel up there if you don't need to. Other great benefits is that they won't rust and are very low profile. FR also has lots of great accessories that you can attach to the slots in the slats. I have a Jerry can holder, bike mounts and kayak mounts on mine. Also have tie down loops that attach in the slots. I've had it for about 4 years and at this point I wouldn't buy anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USLandy View Post
Hi all,

Looking at some racks to put on my 90 (UK spec) not really seen anything for frontrunner reviews so wondering who has one and how they like it, or other racks people like??

thanks in advance
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have a Hannibal rack on my 110 and love it. I consider the Front Runner of equal design and quality. If I were to do it over again, I would still buy one of those two. No others would be considered. You can't go wrong with South African racks.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a wind cheetah as well. I agree that its the shizzle. I don't use it much since racks on high cap pickups are redundant. It spends most of its time in the barn. I had the arb tent mounted to it @ one time.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:24 AM
SURVEYOR
Dennis Saltys
97 D-90 LE #290

I have the 2.8 meter expedition rack ( same as the Wind Cheetah except it has rails on half) with taller legs that allow a camp table to be stored under the rack. I love the rack its strong, lightweight and very well constructed. As stated above a lot of accessories that are easily mounted to the rack without drilling.
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:57 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Thanks guys for the responses, seems like the frontrunner is the right choice. Manimal, I'll have to see about that rack, I was looking at FR's slimline II. Is there any reason your selling it or just not using it?? I'll PM you.
Old March 19th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

PM sent.

The big difference between the Wind Cheetah (Slimline I) which are no longer available and the Slimline II which they currently sell is that with the WC the rack itself is welded as once piece. The SII racks are parts that you assemble yourself much like a piece of IKEA furniture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USLandy View Post
Thanks guys for the responses, seems like the frontrunner is the right choice. Manimal, I'll have to see about that rack, I was looking at FR's slimline II. Is there any reason your selling it or just not using it?? I'll PM you.
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Like Manimal, I too have an S1 version of the rack, 1 piece, strong, lots of mounting options for accessories. It's a little noisy above 50 mph, cuts my mileage by about 2 mpg's so the D doesn't wear it year round.

An issue for the NAS D90, POE D90, and the NAS D110, is the rack mounting legs do not play well with the standard (L225) or extended (L245) legs.
Problem is the NHSTA exterior 1-3/4" roll bars. The position of bars conflicts with the mounting legs clamping to the rain gutter. Front Runner in LA, ended up sending me a pair of LR3/4 front mount legs to attach the forward portion of the rack to my roll bar.
I used GenRight 1-3/4" tube mount clamps, (PT # BCL3527) and welded the LR3/4 leg base mount to attach the front legs to my roll bar. Manimal welded tabs onto his roll-bar, but I did not want to damage the factory coating on the roll-bar so clamping was the way for me to go.
On a NAS D110, ALL the legs would require attachment to the roll-bar as well as the POE D90's.
Their rack is a great item, I wouldn't have bought anything different.
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm actually in the process of having some roll cage clamp feet fabricated that will match the height of the extended (L245) Front Runner legs. I have sent my design to Front Runner but the designers/engineers in SA seem to have little interest in making these. Apparently people with roll cages don't buy Front Runner racks. I'm picking up a template tomorrow that I plan to test fit. Once the design is finished I'm happy to share it. This design can be used with the 245MM tall FR legs or it can be used on a full roll cage as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack_Foot Clamp 022613.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	68530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack_Foot Clamp Mounted 022613.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	68531  

Old November 22nd, 2017, 04:33 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Anyone have any updated pics of these? Just ordered a new rack, going to need to make adapters for the front roll bar. I ordered the lower height rack so I can fit in the garage still.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack