Front Windshield Seal Replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:16 PM
walkinginmemphis
Ryan
1997/D-90 LE

Front Windshield Seal Replacement

Has anyone had this seal replaced at a standard windshield repair shop? Can they handle this? I assume I would need to order this replacement seal in advance? Any insight? Prices?

Thanks

97 D90 LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:23 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've:
A) done it myself.
B) had a shop do it.

First one was a pain in the arse, even had someone that knows Rovers and has done it before assist. Took us about 2-3 hours.

Second time was due to windshield crack and insurance covered it. I called a reputable glass place (of my choice) in advance to discuss. Most places use a "machine" to put in the new seal...which can't be used with the Rovers. So I requested their old school glass guy. Still took him over an hour and a half.

I had to bring my own parts (their turnaround was like 2 weeks), but the insurance company reimbursed me (I cleared that with them up front).

Glass + seal was like $160, install was $150.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:35 PM
walkinginmemphis
Ryan
1997/D-90 LE

Thanks. Sounds like I need to buy a seal and research the local windshield repairs shops. I appreciate it. I'm in Austin, TX, if by chance, anyone else is in the area and has any recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:52 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I broke mine trying to put it in myself using the string method. See here. I had a guy come and put it in using the same string method and he did it in less than 2 minutes. Super easy, he didn't even use any lube. It just takes experience. I also have an extra genuine OEM LR seal if you can't find one.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Great write up with pictures on this topic in the March 2013 issue of Land Rover Monthly.
Old February 18th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Done 4 of them with the string method, the secret was to apply even pressure as you pull the string

From scratch till mirror glued

1st time 45 mins,4th time 15-20 mins
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:00 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Done 4 of them with the string method, the secret was to apply even pressure as you pull the string

From scratch till mirror glued

1st time 45 mins,4th time 15-20 mins
I know where in headed next time I need a favor. ;-)

Old February 18th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinginmemphis View Post
Thanks. Sounds like I need to buy a seal and research the local windshield repairs shops. I appreciate it. I'm in Austin, TX, if by chance, anyone else is in the area and has any recommendations.
LR in Austin has a guy that replaces glass but good luck trying to get him to call you back. I called him three times and even complained to the dealer about it. I ended up going to british 4x4 in San Antonio. They have a glass guy.
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:49 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Any auto glass shop should be able to do it. I have taken mine to elite auto glass and several other small shops and they all did just fine it is just a gasket like a bunch of other cars / trucks use nothing special about the install.
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

When I called around in the AUS area two years ago I had 4 shops tell me they couldnt do it, now those were big shops. You might get lucky with a little guy with experiance. They need to be experianced because you DON'T want a leak.
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:00 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I'm going to have to do this myself soon as well - and am planning to do it with the windshield frame off the truck. The string method sounds straightforward, but what actually causes the windshield to crack?
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:14 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I'm going to have to do this myself soon as well - and am planning to do it with the windshield frame off the truck. The string method sounds straightforward, but what actually causes the windshield to crack?
Ed,

When I did mine I made the mistake of using the glass holder with the suction cups. It is unnecessary and puts a lot of point stress on the glass, it does not spread the load. My glass guy just used 1 string, no lube, and used his palm, not fingers, to push the glass in. I could not believe how easy it was for him. He emphasized not putting too much pressure on any single point. I think a little lube would make it go in a lot easier.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:35 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Thanks Forrest, that's good advice
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:17 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I've had Speedy Autoglass install both with the full vehicle and with the frame alone; no problems at all.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Broke one trying to DIY.

Paid $100 on the next one.
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:34 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
If the glass is original or has been there for a while, there might be hairline cracks along the edge of the windshield that give under the stress of the seal replacement.

I went to my local glass shop with a new seal to replace the ratty original one on my 90. The guy took one look at the glass and said "no way, not with those cracks." I struggled to see them, but there were a few along the edges.
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:02 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
I know it's hard to believe, but if you have an Alpine white truck, it's cheaper to just replace the whole frame and glass.
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:31 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover
I know it's hard to believe, but if you have an Alpine white truck, it's cheaper to just replace the whole frame and glass.
From what source? Im interested...
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
Until you realize that the top of your bulkhead is rusted under the seal.
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Until you realize that the top of your bulkhead is rusted under the seal.
And ship-fitters sets in...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac