Front windows popping out of track when closing door/rolled down - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 18th, 2018, 08:51 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
Front windows popping out of track when closing door/rolled down

I seek the collective advise and wisdom of the crowd.

I've noticed that if one of the front windows are rolled down and I need to close the door (aherm, slam the door) the window pops out of the vertical guides on the front edge of the window where there's little glass-to-channel contact. This is a really challenging place to keep it supported.

I note that if the window is rolled down past the point where the top edge of the glass is not supported by the outer seal, it'll rattle out no questions asked. But even when slightly torqued on with the glass, it still puts a lot of wiggle pressure on the bottom edge of the track, eventually widening it out or rattling out the screw holding the channel in place. In other words, when barely supported at the top, it's better, but not perfect.

My attempted fix:

3d print a window stop to prevent the window to wind down past the point where the window is unsupported which helps a HUGE amount. I've also suck a piece of tapered foam between the bottom lip of the window (at it's lowest point) and the outer panel of the door which helps. But all of that seems like a complete hack, and doesn't solve the problem of closing the door if the window is rolled down, say, halfway.

Am I missing something here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180118_200421.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	347113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180118_201209.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	347121  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2018, 11:04 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
After looking at this more, do I just need to shim the hell out of the guides? Right now I have 1 shim behind the front channel and 1 behind the rear. I do recall that my original doors only had one, so I was guessing that it was the same.

Thoughts?
Old January 24th, 2018, 11:00 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Are the channels properly secured to the door? When I took my door apart for the first time in 20 years, the screws holding channels were brown dust and doing nothing. Also hard to tell from the photos but is the window secured to the regulator? Where are those channels from? Look different than mine..
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2018, 11:43 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
I would remove the inner door panel and regulator. You should adjust the side tracks with shims or whatever until you get it to a point where you cannot get the window out of the track without removing the screws holding the track to the door. The glass should only be able to go up and down. Then reinstall the regulator/panel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, door, rack, window, windows