Front Window Removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 28th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80
Front Window Removal

Hi everyone,

Newbie here. I just purchased an AA Yellow Defender 90, 1994 #80. I've had it for a week and it has been an absolute blast so far.

I have a question: I have sliding front windows and would like to remove them and reinstall them when the weather gets colder. It doesn't seem obvious to me how the windows come off. Do you have to remove the door panels to access the fasteners?

Old August 28th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
You need a deep socket if you dont have the original "removal tool" - but its easy just to take the door panels off. The studs might be pretty rusty anyway so you might have to use some liquid wrench or PB blaster on them. Also, when left on for a long time, the gasket adheres itself really well to the paint and the door top, making them stick together. Just get a spackle knife or something thin to run in between and peel them apart.

Old August 28th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST
If your door top studs are anything like what I found the first time I took the tops off (very rusted) you will want to invest in stainless steel studs and Quick-nuts. Atlantic British usually has them in stock.
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Denis Ng
1994 D-90 ST #34
Hey Guys,
Long time listener first time caller.
New owner fiddling around on a Sunday morning.
Trying to take off door tops and having a helluva time. Seems as if gaskets are sticking(looks like all the nuts rusted/removed by former owner) and even though have tried previously suggested methods I've had no luck.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
Prybar. 2x4 against the frame and hit with a hammer. It is not the gasket that is holding them in, it is the plastic sleeve on the studs that is siezed in the hole in the doors which it slides into.

The safest (but most time consuming way) to remove them properly is to remove the door panel (carefully, they ar fragile, especially be careful when tightening the screws on reinstall not to make them too tight and crack it, use small washers on the screws if it is already cracked) and put two nuts on the bottom of the studs, and use the top nut (whilst keeping the lower nut tight) to unscrew the stud from the bottom of the door top. Once both are unscrewed, the door top will be loose and will be able to be removed with relative ease. Then you can [carefully] hammer the studs down through the hole and out the bottom. This assumes there is enough thread to get two nuts on. Their usually is, but one of mine, there was not.

Once they are out, clean up the holes where the studs go into the doors and run some sandpaper around the plastic sleeves to slightly reduce their size so the door tops can come off by hand again. I put oil on them as well before reinstalling.
*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions