Front Vent Seal Replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Vent seals

I don't seem to have any seals around the vents under the windshield. I think this is where some water is coming from. Where can I buy these and how are the installed?
Thanks,
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:46 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Rovers Down South and Rovers North should have them.
Take a look at this write up for installing:
http://www.defendersource.com/mod/vent_seal/index.html

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 29th, 2003, 06:58 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Vent Seals

I did the exact conversion that my friend Dave Souza wrote about on that thread. I think the reason he did the conversion was because he saw how good mine turned out and what a difference it made. I would absolutely recommend installing the series III seals as opposed to new seals for a defender.

The series III seals fit perfectly and are made of real rubber, not the inferior foam material that the d-90 seals are made from. Installation is as quick and straightforward as Dave wrote.

I think every d-90 owner would benefit by making this change. The difference it makes weatherproofing and soundproofing is unbelievable, and once you take out your old seals you'll be shocked (and probably disgusted) at how crappy the originals are. Try Nathan Crabtree at Discount Rovers, or Rovers Down South...I think the seals set me back about $20 a few years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Front Vent Seal Replacement

I read the front vent seal replacement in the custom mods section and decided to replace my seals this weekend. For those who have done this are there any tricks involved? Wht adhesive reccomendation? I was thinking black RTV sealant? Industrial Glue?

TIA,

EwS
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:12 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

i ordered the series seals and thought they where way to big.good fit around the vent but rather fat,though i was going to bend the vent trying to get it closed. i sent them back.somebody said trim the seal? the article in the mods section didnt say anything about trimming?eric what seals did you buy?
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:22 PM
howellm70
Michael Howell

I bought the series 3 seals about 2 years ago and they fit perfect...Matt, are you sure you got the right ones.

Eric, I used some 3m adhesive you can get at home depot but don't remember the exact name. Replacing the seals is one of the best mods for the $ I've ever done.
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I got them from George at RDS. They are in route and he said they were a straight fit just have to glue them to the bulkhead.

3M Sounds good, I'll get some tonight. I hope they work because they do look good on the truck and mine are shot and leaking...

Thanks guys,

EwS
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:31 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Eric, just glue them in with the 3m black adhesive then have someone push on the vent from the outside as you close it and lock it from the inside for the first time. It may need the extra force the first few times when the seals are new and snug. After a while, they will mold to the seals and you will have no problem.
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Thanks! Let's hope the weather clears here in chicago this weekend!

EwS
Old June 12th, 2004, 10:23 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I used a clear silicon caulking. It is somewhat adhesive and stays flexible. If you ever need to remove the seal it will come off much easier with the silicon.

I installed a set several months ago using the method on the tech articles and it worked great. No more leaks.
Old June 20th, 2004, 04:27 AM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

eric did you get those in? any pics-from anyone?
Old June 20th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I got them on Friday, then went wheeling on Saturday in IN. I'll start them on Monday. I have to get the Tork Bit for the roll bar today and then the sealant. Hopefully won't take to long! Although George says to take your timebefore gluing.

EwS

Keep watching....
Old July 3rd, 2004, 06:24 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Eric,

Today I replaced my driver side vent seal with the Series III part. A simple job, but like the oil change experience you had, it seemed like a bitch. Getting the vent door into the groove on the newly installed seal is really fun. Simple, but agravating and awkward.

This is the second time I've done this exercise. Before I knew of the Series III seal, I replaced the original with a stock seal. By the way, neither time have I removed the cross bar on the external cage. There is a little difficulty getting around it, but not so much as to necessitate removing the piece.

Have fun, be careful with the sealant, and keep reminding yourself how bad the leak really is with the old seal.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Vent Seal Replacements?

What's the latest on vent seal replacements? They finally are falling out. A '97. One of those areas LR cut a corner.

Old ones? Stock ones? Or is there something recent for late models that they've upgraded to?

Thanks!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
m.michaels
Matthew Michaels
1997 D90 SW

As everyone else has said - Series III - I got mine from British Pacific - Rovers North said they did not carry them anymore. Either way - I too used the silicon sealant - but I removed the vent all the way, i.e. unscrewed the thing from the lever inside.

I would NOT recommend doing it that way again - as I really had some trouble getting the vent and holes lined back up. The first one went great - the second one not so great . . . .

Since then no leaks from the vents, plenty of leaks from the headliner . . .
Old July 22nd, 2004, 04:01 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Wicks,

Stock is NLA. RDS for the Series vents.

EwS
Old October 28th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Question

OK so reviewed these postings. Any new technology or kits since last year? Anyone making them out of rubber yet.

I took the new girl out for her first run in the rain since reassembly of the interior today. Serious downpour too. Came home and was pleased at no leaks at door seals (I had cleaned and adjusted) and driver side looked good. then I looked over at the passenger and there be H2O droplets all over me brand new LR Rubber Floor Mats. :o Well at least they kept the carpets dry.

Question is, I looked at the seals (foam crap) but they actually look in good condition.

Should I expect a bit getting in when in heavy rain? Or should I seek the new seals?

2cd question is has anyone adjusted the vent latches (springs)? There does not seem to be enough tension holding them into the groove(s) which may contribute to the problem on the passenger side as well.

PS - I had spoke with someone at either AB or RN and they had made a comment about the foam freezing to the bulkhead in the winter and then tearing when you opened them.

I would prefer to use seals that tuck inside the vents. I reviewed the "vent kits" at AB and it does not specify what they are made of. and/or Would it be possible to use moisture sealant (i.e snow seal) on the foam to prevent them from absorbing water? Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac