Front Vent Issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 9th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

Front Vent Issue

Hey Guys,

Did a quick search but did not see anything similar to the issue I am having. My front fresh air vents will not stay open when I drive above 30mph. They stay open until they catch a gust of wind, and then they slam shut. Is there any way to tighten them?

Any thoughts or help is appreciated,

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

It's possible the vent arm is not catching on the serrated teeth (catch) b/c the arm may be bent away. You could remove the vent and slightly bend the arm towards the serrated teeth (catch).

Cheers...
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:22 AM
imeek
Isaac
Red 94 D-90 (SOLD)

Perhaps the vents are not connected to the arms. Can you lift them up from outside the vehicle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

The vents are definitely connected to the arms. As far as the arm not cathing on the serrated teeth, that could be the fix, but it was not a problem before. They used to stay open, and then they got very hard to open/close at all so we sprayed some WD40 or silicone spray in the hinges and they loosened up. The driver side stays open, but not the passenger side. I could try bending the arm so it actually catches the teeth, but the teeth almost seem too shallow to be effective. Do the teeth actually hold it in other peoples trucks? Mine will move over into them, but spring out.
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:12 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

the teeth in a 97 must be different then because in mine the teeth are almost the full depth of the arm...
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:28 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krna View Post
The vents are definitely connected to the arms. As far as the arm not cathing on the serrated teeth, that could be the fix, but it was not a problem before. They used to stay open, and then they got very hard to open/close at all so we sprayed some WD40 or silicone spray in the hinges and they loosened up. The driver side stays open, but not the passenger side. I could try bending the arm so it actually catches the teeth, but the teeth almost seem too shallow to be effective. Do the teeth actually hold it in other peoples trucks? Mine will move over into them, but spring out.
I have a 97, my passenger side had the same issue. If you pull then vent apart, you need to re-adjust the piece that catches the teeth.
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

Thanks, will give that a go this weekend.
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:22 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Have the same problem on the passenger's side of my 94. Quick fix is to stuff a piece of folded paper or tapered dowel but that looks jenkie. I like Andy will need to remove and bend back into place the mechanism.

Tech question - How do you seperate the vent knob from the vent shaft - Help!
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:20 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
I have the same problem on the passenger side on my '95; why is it everyone seems to have problems w/ the passenger side?
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoseno View Post
I have the same problem on the passenger side on my '95; why is it everyone seems to have problems w/ the passenger side?
My guess is that because you have to lean your body over to reach that side, you occasionally throw a good deal of body weight into it when you squeeze it over to the right, and end up bending it past where it can spring back.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Krna
Andy Krna
1997 D-90 ST AA Yellow

Can the vent knob be removed, or do you have to take it apart from the outside?
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
I found on my '95 that on the passenger side only, the slot in the plastic molding that the lever goes through is preventing the lever from fully engaging the teeth. I took a dremel tool and opened up the slot a bit so the lever would fully engage the teeth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions