front tires wear much faster than rears? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:51 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

front tires wear much faster than rears?

My front tires have worn much faster than the rears. I know this is why we rotate our tires, but the wear rate seems extreme in the front. I'm no tire expert, but fronts have maybe 20% left, rears look almost new. Tires came on the truck when I bought it 5 years ago, but were pretty much new as far as I could tell. I've put maybe 4,000 miles on the tires.

Does this explanation make sense? (from http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f8/tyr...ate-71197.html)

"The rear tyres on all cars/trucks fitted with big axles always run DEAD IN LINE, whereas in all other cars with "independent suspension" and even front wheel drivers with beam axles at the back, the rear wheels are always slightly toed IN to reduce rear end oversteer, which they think makes it handle safer when the car is being driven by a normal incompetent driver. LandRover with axles aren't supposed to be able to go fast enough for this to matter! So, the back tyres always stay pointing dead ahead, AND always vertical to the road surface even when the body rolls above the axle. Thus, there is almost no scrubbing effect on the tread, and the back tyres will last 100k miles easily in many cases.

The front tyres on Landies with real front axles also do not change their geometry much in driving, and assuming your tracking is set correctly, and you don't scrub the tyres by cornering like an idiot especially at LOW speeds like in car parks, then the front tyres get an easy life too. They do NOT get pushed outwards and scrubbed."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

What type of tires? They may have looked new when you bought them but they may not have been new. There should be a cod on the tire that will tell you just how old they are.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:24 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
What type of tires? They may have looked new when you bought them but they may not have been new. There should be a cod on the tire that will tell you just how old they are.
Old style Goodyear MTRs, 285/75R16. If I'm reading the code right, looks like they were manufactured in the 23rd week of 2005 (2305).

It seems like I'd have to rotate them every 1-2,000 miles for them to wear evenly. At this point, I'd rather have the good tires on the back though, so I may just leave them and sell the three good tires (rears + new spare) when the fronts wear out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:26 PM
berti1554
Robert Klima
84/110

Do you see an unusual wear pattern? I'd check allignement...
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:29 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Are they wearing evenly? It'd be worth having your alignment checked if they are showing any edge wear. I would have them balanced if they are cupping. It's normal for the front tires to wear faster than the rears, but it shouldn't be that much of a difference.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by berti1554 View Post
Do you see an unusual wear pattern? I'd check allignement...
Passenger side has more wear on inside of tire than outside. I recently had the steering stops adjusted to see if I could minimize the rubbing on the radius arms. I should have the alignment checked. Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:43 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The only thing that can be aligned on these trucks is the toe. Castor is set by the radius arms. Camber is set by the swivel ball assembly and isn't adjustable. The design from the factory is that the front tires wear more on the inside than the outside.

-Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Guess I'll just ride this set out then rotate the new tires more frequently.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:18 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I wonder if you have my old tires - they looked like they had plenty of tread from far away, but they were bald up close (fronts only).
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:43 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
5 years to a traction type tire is like 100 years to a human. They cost the moon and last like a Popsicle. Rotating helps a little but you really can't hope to get long life from them.
So why would the fronts wear faster? Hmmm well the engine's right over top of 'em for one thing, and they scrub like crazy going around turns cuzza the 4wd thing, and they do most of the stopping.
Proper tire pressure and wheel alignment help too.
I doubt there's an anomaly with your truck or the tires. Because they wear so quick, even a tire that appears to have life ( tread depth ) in it can be no good.
Just changed fronts on dads Mazda 4000 cz they were noisy and shook the wheel at speed. Cupped but still half the tread left.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:49 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

If you run them all at the same pressure the fronts seem to wear faster. Factory spec is less pressure in the front. I know this makes a huge difference in RRC tire wear (with a 41psi rear 28psi front bias)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:42 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
If you run them all at the same pressure the fronts seem to wear faster. Factory spec is less pressure in the front. I know this makes a huge difference in RRC tire wear (with a 41psi rear 28psi front bias)
That's interesting. Maybe I should use lower pressure in front. What's the logic behind that? I would expect a tire with more air to last longer.

Or I should just lower my expectations for MT tires.
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I think it's for better ride. I run 34 front and 38 rear.
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:50 AM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I think it's for better ride. I run 34 front and 38 rear.
That makes sense.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:00 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Every defender I touched we had 28 psi in the front and 32-35 in the rear. But the front was always 28. Above 35 psi is too high
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:08 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Really 28 in the front? Seems so low. Same for 110s too?
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:20 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Tru dat homey. All of them.
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:28 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
If you're not figuring out the exact correct pressure using chalk or something and rolling forward to see how it wears for the specific weight of the vehicle then I'd use the factory recommended pressure. I have always run the recommended 28 psi in the front on 90 and 110 with various tires and have not had any problems or noticeable awkward wear.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:49 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

28 front, 32-35 rear. Good to know. Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:57 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Or I should just lower my expectations for MT tires.
Yes, that.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:15 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
I just changed out a set of old style 285-75-16 Good Year MTR's last year. They were used, and came with my D-90 when I bought it. I put 40k on them, they wore evenly and had so much life left in them they are now on a buddies 4-Runner. I always ran 32 to 35 PSI in them on the street, 12 PSI on the trail, they were mounted on 16 x 8 steelies. I had them siped, maybe that had something to do with the exception wear... they were the best MT tire I ever owned. I looked all over for another set, ended up with KM2's.

I would at least have the toe-in checked, these MTR tires wear like iron.

Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires