Front Speakers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 14th, 2012, 05:20 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Front Speakers

Now that I have a new radio in, Its obvious my 1988 speakers aren't up to the task. Currently the are where the previous owner just screwed them into the footwells. Look, sound and fit liek sh*t

Where do you guys have your front speakers? All in the door cards? I was hoping for something not on the door, and a bit higher, but all I can think of would be something built into a headliner. Any one else have any suggestions?

Heres some quick pics of the new radio.... and VERY old speakers lol I didn't try to hide or even make the speaker wires all that nice, since I'll be hopefully moving them very soon once i figure this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0872[2].jpg
Views:	210
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	62737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0875[2].jpg
Views:	210
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	62738  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0876[2].jpg
Views:	247
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	62739  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 15th, 2012, 07:58 AM
egor
kody martin
1986 Land Rover 90

Registry
Some place them in the lower dash right above where your previous owner installed the current ones. You may need speaker spacers depending on the depth of new speakers you have. The driver side will fit with no issues but the wiper motor is on the passenger side and not that far behind the lower dash wall. 4" speakers are usually used. You will need to cut holes in your lower dash.
Old December 15th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by egor View Post
Some place them in the lower dash right above where your previous owner installed the current ones. You may need speaker spacers depending on the depth of new speakers you have. The driver side will fit with no issues but the wiper motor is on the passenger side and not that far behind the lower dash wall. 4" speakers are usually used. You will need to cut holes in your lower dash.
I've been wrestling with this for a while. Lower dash clearance is fine on RH, but you'll have about 1" of clearance inside the LHD b/c of wiper motor. Even with1" spacers which will probably snag knees, boots etc, you'll then have only 2". That may be enough for 4" speakers, but to get any appreciable sound you'll really need 5.25".

Lots of guys on the UK boards put then in the headliner (obviously, provided that you have a headliner) you have about 1.75-2.00" up there. Just need to use some type of sound deadening material like dynamat so you don't get vibration from the thin alum roof.

Just finished putting a set of component 5.25" rounds and recessed tweeters in the headliner. Out of harms way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
If you check the search, there is a thread talking about speaker/ stereo placement but there really aren't that many options...
Old December 16th, 2012, 12:56 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I was going to put the speakers in a set of full doors in my ST but went back to the ST doors. So I still have a pair of 1 inch spacers to use with the hard doors if you interested in getting them to work. I think you would need some shallow speakers - you can check with Crutchfield for speaker designs and that reall may help you with your decision in knowing what is out there. Also you may be able to mix a tweater in a small space then a mid range in your current spot so it would be a matter of getting the channels rigth for the right sound mix up front.
Old December 16th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
I got some universal speaker pods that I'm going to mount to my roof. Up out of the way from betting banged up or muddy. I'm going to trim down some speaker rings to angle the speakers so they don't face straight down. There is enough room between your head and the speakers up front that they're not uncomfortably. I figure ill just have to fade the head unit towards the rear to balance it out a little

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speakers