Front speaker wiring issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 8th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
Front speaker wiring issues

Ok, since day 1 my front speakers keep intermittently quitting on me. Sometimes 1, sometimes both. Back speakers never give me a problem. Was going to upgrade anyways, so I put in some known good speakers that I already had.... still have the problem. Had a known good radio I wanted in the truck, so swapped that out too... still have the problem.

So, that means it's in the wiring between the speakers and the radio. Any particular place I should look at?

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:27 PM
93 110 | 97 90
You might start with where the wire connects to the door inside the flexible rubber tube. Then start tracing it back.

Old February 9th, 2004, 02:10 PM
1997 Hardtop
I haven't looked into this, but when I called crutchfield about adding a new deck, they said "your speakers share a common ground." I suppose, rather than the normal procedure, there's some wire that runs between the two, rather then grounding separately? p.s. mine do the same...looking to reqire it all...
Old February 13th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Heath Ahrens
Hey Hans

I have to run, but the little "Clarion" amplifier has been the source of many problems for my 1995 d-90. Check under the passenger seat compartment... The wires all end up there. If you have a powerfull head-unit you might want to cut the amplifier out all together. You probably noticed the difference in coloration between the speaker wires in the doors, and in the speaker wires that connect to the head unit. They change in that little amp in the passenger seat compartment.... once you see it, it will all make sense.
Has anyone been able to keep that "amp"?
I just cut it out... one less part to go bad.
You can splice the wires (with plenty of room to spare under there). But maybe someone dissagrees... wait a bit to see what other people have to say.
Old February 13th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
If you cut it out the sound level will not be as loud as it is now, but it should work. I can't see it hurting anything and you can always hook it back up if it doesn't work.
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions