Front shock question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 18th, 2006, 08:40 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Front shock question

I need front shocks for my series coil project. Im going with Rancho 9000's but want to know if I can go with 12" shocks with stock d-90 springs or If I should stick with 10"ers... I know nothing about stock height stuff... lol.. im use to the 14" exo's
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

if you plan a stock(ish) radius arm front end (no 3 link or anything) just pick the stock length shock you like best (Rancho, Bilstein, whatever) as the front end does not have enough travel to have a shock length problem in a coil 88 with D90 springs.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

the stock radius arms are capable of a little more than 10" so personally I would go with 12" travel.

Then again if you are runnnig stock springs and stock coiler mounts then you may get a better match with the length on the 10" travel. The 12's would/may be too long at full compression
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Stock is 8in travel correct? You want 10in, actually 9-9.5 is ideal, 10in can bottom out.
Old June 19th, 2006, 05:51 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think 10" is stock.
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:41 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ron, how about the RS990014 do you think thats a good one that will work?
Old June 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

Can you cycle the suspension?
What I do is pull the spring on the compressing side.
Fully compress that side while drooping the other side(springs fall out if not retained)
Check for tire clearence. Adjust bumpstops for tire clearence.
Measure the would be compressed shock length with your mounts.
Measure the would be stacked spring height of the compressed side.
Measure the same for the drooped side.

If you are using the stock shock mount then you just maximize what you can with that.
The springs will only compress so far so you need to take into account the stacked spring height compared to the measured fully compressed height.
I usually leave 1-2" of tire clearence when touching the bumpstop during articulation. The bumpstop will compress more with weight of the vehicle during cross axle articulation.
So with the distance between your shock mounting points and then factor in the compressed spring height.
I use the outside edge of the spring perches for measuring the compressed spring height.

So for example(imaginary numbers!):
compressed spring height equals 8"
compressed shock mount distance equals 15"
stacked spring height equals 7.5"(measure the dia of the wire X the number of coils)
Since the compressed spring height is greater than the spring stack height you then use the shock mount distance to determine the shock length.
If the spring stack height is greater than the compressed spring height then you need to adjust for that.
If your springs are to stiff to reach their full stack height you need to consider that.
The most accurate way of finding this out is to cross axle the fully assembled vehicle.
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Cool.. Thanks
Old June 20th, 2006, 02:26 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Or you could just throw in some OME's and be done.
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:30 PM
sajidd
Sajid Dadabhoy

Hi RoverHybrids..,

I am sure you can help me. I want to have a dual shock set up on my Land Rover Defender 110, 300 TDI, 2005.

I currently have OME shocks, extended legnth of 23 to 24 inches.
These are soft and great for city ride.

Next I want to install Ranchos 99012, they have an extended length of 32".

In the front, the ARB are inside the coil spring and in the rear they are in same position as stock.

Now where and what height must I mount the Ranchos or re mount the ARB so that when extended they both droop down to same level?

Is that even possible?

Cheers.

Sajidd
Old November 24th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Sajidd,

Welcome to the board! Are you sure that you want a dual shock setup? With the shocks that are currently available on the market, there is really no performance reason to run a dual setup. If you get a good shock with a reservior they will far outperform a dual Rancho setup. I would look at a high quality shock and not go to the trouble of running dual shocks.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 24th, 2006, 03:20 PM
sajidd
Sajid Dadabhoy

Hi Buckon

Many thanks for the warm welcome.

I confess. I just caught the off road rallying bug. Talking about 150 to 200 miles fast speed off roading.

( i just put this up as a seperate post as well).

And that is why I want to have a dual shock system both in the front and rear.

I currently have OME shocks, that have i think about 8 inches travel, with an extended lenght of 23".
These are soft and great for city ride.

Next I want to install Ranchos 99012, they have a travel of about 13 inches, with an extended length of 32 inches.

In the front, the ARB are inside the coil spring (stock position) and in the rear they are in stock mounting as well.

Now where and at what height must I mount the Ranchos or re mount the ARB so that when extended they both droop down to same level?

Is that even possible?

I know that a heavy duty shock can probably do the job, but i dont want to part with my arbs, they are great for city rides.

Idea is to ride the ranchos on their "softest" setting as in the city and "hard" when off roading. Thus during city ride the ARB can perform as the primary shock and Rancho as the back up and it will be opposite when off roading..

I am new to all this ..so what I may be saying perhaps is technically not possible. May be I should just put 2 sets of Ranchos?

What do you think..

Regards

Sajidd

Cheers.

Sajidd
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

Sajidd,
I'm with Buck on this one. I wouldn't waste my time on the ranchos in a dual setup.
If you want performance go with Fox, King, or Bilstein 7100's
With Fox's you can get adjusters that might give you the flexiblity that you want.
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:50 AM
sajidd
Sajid Dadabhoy

Ok guys... you have me convinced..seems like Fox is the shock to go with..now does any one have the part numbers for fox adjustable shocks? and do i need specail mounting?

Also how about pro comp? are they any good? i think they also make some kind of adjustable shocks.

Sajidd

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions