Front seats repair - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 26th, 2015, 10:55 AM
stipe114
Eric
None

Front seats repair

Question. My 2 front seats need a redo on the base and back...new foam and gray vinyl
Where do you suggest buying the redo kit? And what should i expect to pay for a shop to recover?
I know it looks easy on the many videos, but have a feeling it's not
Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Vunkle
Virgil Broussard
1997 defender 90

I ordered my seat foams from Rovers North. They carry everything you need to completely refinish your seats. I did the seats myself and it is really simple. It only took a couple of hours total.
Old December 26th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

From a skill level, it was not that hard--I also added heating elements and mine came out fantastic. I can't speak as to the shop costs, however. I believe Safari HP here on this site is a supplier of seats. I paid 146 sterling for a 2 seat recover kit in the Denim fabric from Rimmer Brothers as I had a rather large order of other stuff coming in. Shipping as 40 sterling (BSP)--so somewhere in the $250-$275 range at the time shipped to my door. Took about a week to arrive. Took me about a day to do the seats (in and out, clean, reweld the frame where it separated + recover). No special tools or anything---the first seat you have to sort of figure things out a little and the second took 1/2 the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2015, 11:57 AM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stipe114 View Post
Question. My 2 front seats need a redo on the base and back...new foam and gray vinyl
Where do you suggest buying the redo kit? And what should i expect to pay for a shop to recover?
I know it looks easy on the many videos, but have a feeling it's not
Thx

stipe114-I did this and it is easy and satisfying to do. Just takes a bit of patience. I got the new top and bottom foam pieces from RN. When the seats were apart I had all of the frame pieces powder-coated, maybe 50 bucks- and the covers dry-cleaned. They now look brand new..

I do not know what a shop would charge, not much I would think as it is but a few square feet of gray vinyl and maybe 20 feet of stitching.

The only real PIA was getting the headrest out. If anyone has a trick for that, I would have liked to have known that months ago!!

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old December 26th, 2015, 12:00 PM
stipe114
Eric
None

Thanks all
Question when you bought the foam, is there a kit where you get the vinyl and the foam?
I have looked online and it is unclear
I need the foam and the vinyl covering
Thx again
Old December 26th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

My kit, made by Exmoor, came with complete seat sets with all the foam (except it didn't come with headrest foam nor did I need to replace my foam--it was fine). part number EXT316-DT. To get the headrest out, with the back of the old cover off, you smack the headrest support tube from the bottom. Couple sharp smacks and it comes right out.
Old December 26th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Vunkle
Virgil Broussard
1997 defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by stipe114 View Post
Thanks all
Question when you bought the foam, is there a kit where you get the vinyl and the foam?
I have looked online and it is unclear
I need the foam and the vinyl covering
Thx again
Yes. Rovers North sells the full kit. There's also a choice of different covers, not only vinyl, that you can purchase.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions