Front recovery points (long) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 14th, 2007, 04:05 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Front recovery points (long)

I have a stock bumper and brush guard and am looking to add front recovery points. I really don't need an electric winch and would rather not upgrade to a heavy duty bumper. I also have a steering protector that appears to prevent the use of jate rings. My plan is to drill four holes on the left and right sides of the bumper and mount two shackle mounting brackets with 1/4 inch backing plates (see attached picture from the Expedition Exchange site.) Then during a recovery, I would use a bridle to disburse the load between these two brackets.

Everything I've read discourages the use of the stock bumper for recovery. Is this because the metal is not thick enough or is it not mounted adequately or both or something else? Would my approach work or do I have to upgrade the bumper.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2007, 04:25 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Not thick enough and not boxed. Get the bumper boxed and reinforced at the connection points. Not to be blunt, but taking the easy route on recovery points gets other people hurt.
Old August 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Yup, there is no way that what you want to do will work if you get stuck anywhere other than a parking lot while in Neutral. If you take off the front bumper, you will see how incredibly lightweight it is. It is easily bent and would probably just bend if you pulled on it. Just buy some Jate rings instead.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2007, 05:07 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have a front skid plate and jate ring, you just have to remove a little from either side. I know there is a "wide" jate ring availible
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I think I have some somethere.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:00 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Ok, not to threadjack but it looks like we're already going in this direction:

What options do we have these days for front bumpers? I've seen too many bent and rusted ARBs and want something else.

/
/
/
/
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:54 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin
Ok, not to threadjack but it looks like we're already going in this direction:

What options do we have these days for front bumpers? I've seen too many bent and rusted ARBs and want something else.
rockwear.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old August 15th, 2007, 03:16 AM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Draken Offroad (Equipe) sells these things that fit over the stock bumper. I've never used them but they look good and having used Equipe stuff before I would bet they are strong...

http://www.equipe4x4.com/inglese/ART...&COD=A&NFOTO=3

Old August 15th, 2007, 05:59 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Gary. the junkyard fix is running either a Series recovery "loop" or a hook style recovery point mounted throught the frame horn UNDER the bumper as you have the factory brush guard, not very "correct" .....but very functional and safe.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:06 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Gary jate rings will work with the skid. you may have to spread them a quarter inch or less.
I had them on my last defender with the SD skid.
get 2 one for each side DAP has them for around $30 each. or EE may have them in stock as well.

I have seen some people drill a hole in their skid plate and put a D ring in but I wouldnt recommend it. RIP.................

If you want to keep it stock look for LR winch bumper they are more stout than the stock. bumper and you can beef them up.

or have one made..........
Old August 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Jate rings

My problem with jate rings is not their width but the fact that they have no way to "loop around" because of the way my protector attaches to the frame rails (see attached photo from Draken Off Road.) Once the plate is attached to those two bolt holes on the bracket, I don't think there's enough room for the jate ring between the plate and the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	10044  
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:18 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

ahhh ok, I have seen a recovery point that slides into the round hole at the end of the frame but cant rember where I saw it
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:45 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter
My problem with jate rings is not their width but the fact that they have no way to "loop around" because of the way my protector attaches to the frame rails (see attached photo from Draken Off Road.) Once the plate is attached to those two bolt holes on the bracket, I don't think there's enough room for the jate ring between the plate and the bracket.
You can ask Draken if their jate rings will work with it and the stock bumper, they can probable tell you if at least theirs will work or not...

Old August 15th, 2007, 11:10 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Draken

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleRedD90
You can ask Draken if their jate rings will work with it and the stock bumper, they can probable tell you if at least theirs will work or not...
I did ask Draken and they recommended the swivel eye with the bracket. I think it only works on a stock bumper without the brush guard and I have the brush guard.

I've narrowed my choices down to getting a Shipman stock bumper look-alike with built-in recovery points or having Matt Browne rig up something directly onto the frame rails.
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:04 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Gary, what skid plate is that? I put a jate ring from DAP on the drivers side with a SD skid plate. It just took a little tweaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize Wizard-1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	10046  
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:46 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee
Gary, what skid plate is that? I put a jate ring from DAP on the drivers side with a SD skid plate. It just took a little tweaking.
Hi Dennis,

It's an Equipe steering protector and is very similar to one that Scorpion Racing makes. Attached is a picture of the Scorpion version that shows the bracket problem. It's a nice protector but if I had to do it again I'd get one with integrated recovery points.
Attached Images

Old August 16th, 2007, 06:28 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
take it back and get a southdown, your jate rings will work with it.
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:24 PM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

I have been very satisfied with a unit I fabricated. Works with stock bumper, skid plate, and brush gaurd. Using the foot print of the brushgaurd mount for a pattern, I cut out a stainless 3/8 plate (because it looks great) and welded an attachment of stainless pipe. the pipe serves as a mounting point for a shackle. The plate is sandwiched between the top of the bumper and the brush gaurd using the frame and backing plate of the bumper. This requires longer bolts. This configuration has been tested numerous times with a Warn 9000 and mulitple snatch blocks. With a known overload (like recoverying Dodge Power Wagons) I use both mounts and a choker/bridel.
Pic posted here.

http://imageevent.com/jimpace/landro...=0&w=4&s=0&z=2

Very strong and looks great.
Jim
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:49 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Jim that does look good. I wonder though if the stainless is strong enough to hold if you were to pull on it from the side. Have you used them yet to test them out?
You could sell those things.

97 D90 SW
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cover