Front output housing issue, can I drive with messed up bearing? Help ASAP please - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:39 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

All my british vehicles are breaking (front output issue help asap)

Well, lotus toasted another oil cooler line so I am waiting on parts so it is non-op. I am too lazy to rebuild the brakes on my LWB (trying to ditch it now) so I was down to my 94 D90.

On the way home I got a bad bearing noise (squeaking) and a vibration (after finally "solving" the water in the computer issue by pulling the broken AC and putting the computer back where it belongs). The front output bearing on the t-case seems loose (it clicks).

My inclination is to refill the t-case and am consider pulling the front driveshaft. The wrinkle is I have to do this before work tomorrow so if someone tells me I can make it to work with just topping up the oil (30 miles each way 27 of it interstate), I am going to do that as I am sure the driveshaft will not want to come off.

Thoughts?

Ron

PS I am about fed up and thinking about getting a GM pickup or mini countryman or honda or VW tdi or something, but I know I will never drive it when something else is running.

Sorry DOUBLE POST
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:41 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Front output housing issue, can I drive with messed up bearing? Help ASAP please

Well, the joys of british vehicles. They all break at the same time. The lotus toasted another oil cooler line so I am waiting on parts so it is non-op, hopefully it does not need another engine. I am too lazy to rebuild the brakes on my LWB (trying to ditch it now -- sold for parts $1000 come and get it) so I was down to my 94 D90.

On the way home I got a bad bearing noise (squeaking) and a vibration (after finally "solving" the water in the computer issue by pulling the broken AC and putting the computer back where it belongs). The front output bearing on the t-case seems loose (it clicks).

My inclination is to refill the t-case and am consider pulling the front driveshaft. The wrinkle is I have to do this before work tomorrow so if someone tells me I can make it to work with just topping up the oil (30 miles each way 27 of it interstate), I am going to do that as I am sure the driveshaft will not want to come off.

Thoughts?

Ron

PS I am about fed up and thinking about getting a GM pickup or mini countryman or honda or VW tdi or something, but I know I will never drive it when something else is running.
Old March 10th, 2011, 03:23 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

I'd pull the drive shaft. If it's just a bad bearing, you don't want to let it damage the output shaft. Then lock the xfer case and you are mobile until you have time to fix it.

Regards your Lotus, is the line just rubber, or braid? You can have a braided line made pretty cheap. And then if there's an ongoing heat issue (exhaust proximity), get a heat resistant sleeve for it.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

Sounds like you need to start driving a Porsche to balance things out. Don't you have an older 911?

Maybe pick up a 996 mk2 (with the 3.6).
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:20 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

What would be the point of owning a British vehicle if it never needed repair
Old March 10th, 2011, 08:28 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Sorry to hear about your troubles Ron. If you were here in Orlando I'd give you the RRC or Series III to drive until you get yours fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:25 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post

Sorry DOUBLE POST
Sorry I can't help you with your British vehicle problems, but drop the Lotus and pick-up a Mazda Speed Miata (Turbo/intercooled), it will be almost as much fun (at least on the street), and require nothing more than oil/brake/tire changes, and you will have money left from the trade to continue fixing the broken British obsessions..

Old March 10th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

Ron, I feel your pain -- I have seven cars. At any one point in time, there is something wrong with each of them. Here is a sample as of today....

87 328 -- needs new a/c compressor--need to increase priority as summer approaches
69 365 -- still recovering from electrical fire -- burned up large capacitor, along with wiring, associated with one of the two alternators. Have all new parts needed, except rebuilt alternator. Need to replace leaking brake reservoir.
95 D90 SW (on east coast) wife was driving recently and she tried to mimic the new noise it is making. (This car just doesn't like my wife). Have no idea what could be making the noise as she describes.
93 D110 -- new tie rod to install. Diagnose and solve water temp discrepancies, install new badger carpet set which should arrive today........ (Always a hundred little things to do)
08 Mini Cooper S - wife was driving last week and she picked up a large nail in one of the tires.
03 Disco II - figure out what is making the new clicking noise when driving. Noise is clearly linked to wheel speed.

Scott
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:41 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I'd loan you the RRC if I had it down here. Drive down, drop off, bus back. Next time.
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Thanks guys. It is pouring rain. The oil cooler lines are rubber. I am replacing with the lotus sport oil to water cooler. Once it stops raining I will pull the ds.
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I broke down and bought a VW tdi sportwagon.
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:17 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Oh man.
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Oh man.
It is grey with a diesel and a manual. The only option it has are rubber mats. 25k out the door. 1500 under invoice so I could not resist.
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
LOL. Year? Pictures? Nevermind, I forgot who I'm asking.

I've been trying to convince the wife this should be our next car but she won't hear of it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions