Front Output Bearing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 15th, 2007, 08:27 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Front Output Bearing

I am going to replace my front output bearing in my LT230. I have read the manual and am looking for any practical experience doing the job "in situ." I have done the same job on a Borg Warner and done a rear on the LT230 so I have some experience with this type job but the linkages and the diff lock are the bits that worry me.

Thanks for your comments.
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Are you doing the input or output? For the output all you have to do is remove the front drive shaft from the transfer case and remove the flange. Then just use a seal puller to pop it out, and drive in the new one. Simple, and you don't have to remove any linkages!
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:15 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

The seal is easy this is the bearing.

The bearing will come out easy enough but the housing must be removed in order to drive the race out of the housing. That's where the fun comes in.
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2007, 12:12 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
The seal is easy this is the bearing.

The bearing will come out easy enough but the housing must be removed in order to drive the race out of the housing. That's where the fun comes in.

Could you use a slide hammer with a hook end?
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM
epninety
Dave Haynes
Ibex 240 2.8TGV

I just did this job 2 weeks ago, you don't need to pull the housing. Behind the drive flange is an oil seal. Behind that, is a big circlip. Once you remove that, you can pull the shaft, complete with bearing (it's a single roller race).

Why are you changing it? Is it noisy? They quite often have a lot of up/down/side play, and it doesn't seem to cause any particular problems.

I had a worrying amount of fore/aft float which I didn't understand, which is why I pulled mine apart.

Dave
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Well it does have play in the up/down side to side area. I had a similar situation in my borg warner and it ended up eating itself so I was concerned and figured I would change it out.

Glad to hear I don't have to pull the housing, that's the problem with the factory manuals, everything is written for doing it on the bench and not under the vehicle.

I would love to see a practical manual for owners but I guess that is what the web is for.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions