Front Main Seal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 15th, 2007, 02:33 AM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Front Main Seal

A buddy and I are replacing the front main seal on my 94 ST. We got the radiator out okay. It looks like we will have to pull the water pump, is that correct?

All that to say, I am sure more than a few of you guys have done this. Are there any helpful tips on changing the front main seal? I want to do it right, but I do not want to waste time taking things apart I do not have to.

The weather is turning nice and I am dying to get my rover up and going again, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

You don't have to take the waterpump off, but you do have to remove the 3 longer bolts that go through both the pump and the cover. They are a different size (12mm instead of 11mm IIRC). Personally I would take it off though and reseal it while you're there anyway. Also, it is recommended that you put some right stuff on those three bolts when you reinstall. Also, the Oil Pan has to come off and so does the sump pickup.
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Front main on a 94? Actually, you don't have to pull the oil pan to remove the front cover, you just need to remove the front couple of bolts that go into it through the oil pan. You can then use liquid gasket material to replace the gasket between the two.

The real tricky part I found was getting all the coolant hoses back on, as well as the fan belts oddly enough.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Really? On the one I just did you had to b/c the front three oil pan bolts were studs in the cover with nuts holding it on. Maybe it was different on the GEMS engine than on the BOSCH engine? Good lookin' out Hans!
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:33 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

We have already removed the oil pan and sump pump, I wanted to replace the pan seal as I think it had a small leak as well. I will remove the three bolts going through the water pump and see if that allows us to change the seal without removing the entire pump. I am going to replace the radiator hoses, belts and oil cooler lines while I'm there, anything else I should check while I have the front end dissmantled? Thanks for the tips.

KA
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yes, you MUST MUST MUST MUST properly re-prime the oil pump system if you pull the front cover or remove the pickup tube. There are a lot of places that cover the procedure, but the quickie version is that you take the oil pump apart and pack it solid with petrolium jelly. Otherwise, you may never get any oil flowing into the engine, and that's uber-bad to happen. However, you don't necessarily have to remove the front cover to do that, you just need to remove the oil pump base which can be done with the front cover still on the engine.

Andrew, I was able to remove the front cover on my '94 without removing the oil pan at all. I don't remember if it was studs or bolts on the bottom surface, (It may have been studs), but I was able to wiggle the cover off no problem.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I think the GEMS engines may be different in that respect. I did the job on a '99 4.6 BOSCH RR a couple months ago and the pan definately had to come off.

As for the GEMS engine oil pan gasket...I am not sure if one is even offered, but techs just use rightstuff for the whole thing. The BOSCH engines have an actual rubber gasket though.
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have a 94 gems D90, RRC and a Bosch 00 Disco. I have done the engines on both, and the lower end is the same. You don't need to remove the oil pan, but you do need to remove the two bolts. IF you don't remove the pan, you now have a complex angle corner to seal that is probably coated with oil--it very well may drip. If you remove the pan, which only take a few minutes, you can reseal the whole area and be done with it. I don't use seals at all anymore, just rightstuff.
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Hmmm. I don't know, the techs usually do everything the shortest way possible and the one I worked with when I did mine said it HAD to come off. Maybe like you said he just didn't want to run the risk of it leaking. BTW, doesn't the sump attach to the cover? Is it possible to pull it out through the gap btw the pan and block once the cover is loose? Now I'm intrigued.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions