Front hitch reciever - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 18th, 2008, 11:47 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Front hitch reciever

I been looking into a front hitch receiver for the defender. I have a stock bumper and brush guard. It would aid me greatly in moving around my trailers in addition to being able to carry my basket for my surf rods in the front where it belongs. Does this exist?? I know ECR has done them but I'm not financially ready to send my truck there. I'm sure it's something the I can do myself. Just looking for a little hand holding.
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A couple places make a bolt on plate with a receiver tube welded to it. While I would not attach it to the front bumper to tow anything heavy, it might be strong enough to move boats and hold your other stuff. At least its an option until you find a better solution. Try some of the larger auto parts stores and RV/trailer supply stores for other options. If you can weld, you can also buy just the receiver tube and cut a hole in the bumper and weld it in. I have done that on a few Jeeps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/pc-...y-chassis.aspx

CLASS III RECEIVER HITCH - SERIES IIA III MILITARY CHASSIS

E-mail this product to a friend

Perfect for towing or recovery. Bolts onto rear frame member. Can be incoporated with pintel style hitch. Includes mounting hardware. Also available in a front receiver for a Defender.
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Damn, that's exactly what you need!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:52 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

yeah looks like it but I can't figure out how/where it will attach. RN sales must have been busy cause I got voice mail. I'll have to call in the morning and talk to them... Good eyes Ron! thanks
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:45 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5...-defender.aspx

SPOKE TO ERIC THIS MORNING. He said it mounts to the front end frame where the military recovery point would go. looks like exactly what I want. Now do I want that or a rockware bumper with winch and front receiver?????
thanks guys
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:31 PM
grobinson
Gavin Robinson
95 SWB RRC

I've had a front end receiver on my RRCs, which bolted right to the frame ends where the bumper bolts on to. It was slightly larger so it fitted on the outside of the bumper mount on the frame. I had two of them, but unfortunetely got junked, as the vehicles were rusted, and the receivers were fairly rusted too.

I got these from a fellow friend, but I'm not sure where he had obtained them originally. It's a slightly different bolt on application than the one you listed, but the one you listed it's exactly what you'll want for the D90. I'm surprised at the prices for these things.
Old August 19th, 2008, 02:29 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

That's my issue. I'm thinking I wait it out and have it added to a rockware or similar bumper. after all, it's a third of the price on it's own.
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

I have one I have been thinking of parting with if anyone is interested?
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:47 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Dredging this one back up. Anyone know of a bolt on solution? Would love to get a 2" receiver that fits under a genuine front bumper.

Edit...RNA085. RN has one that purportedly fits, but would like to know if it fits under a genuine bumper and how low it hangs if anyone has done this. Thanks.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Dredging this one back up. Anyone know of a bolt on solution? Would love to get a 2" receiver that fits under a genuine front bumper.

Edit...RNA085. RN has one that purportedly fits, but would like to know if it fits under a genuine bumper and how low it hangs if anyone has done this. Thanks.
What exactly is your goal? Recovery point? Towing a boat backwards? Front mounted bike rack ? I'm actually serious with my inquiry so we can give you some direction.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 24th, 2013, 12:13 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
What exactly is your goal? Recovery point? Towing a boat backwards? Front mounted bike rack ? I'm actually serious with my inquiry so we can give you some direction.
Looking to mount a Warn Multi-Mount winch and also as a tow point if I go with the genuine bumper and poly a bar. Ive read the RN mount sits awfully low, so perhaps a custom job would be the best solution. Or, I may quit being a douche and remount the SG with winch.
Old December 24th, 2013, 07:59 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

When I bought my 90, it had a custom front hitch mount for a multi-mount, built into an arb.

Also, I have a front hitch on my Yukon, and it is a great way to put trailers into tight spots.

Old December 24th, 2013, 08:26 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Looking to mount a Warn Multi-Mount winch and also as a tow point if I go with the genuine bumper and poly a bar. Ive read the RN mount sits awfully low, so perhaps a custom job would be the best solution. Or, I may quit being a douche and remount the SG with winch.
The bolt-on does sit low....if you're dead-set on the multi-mount Warn, I'd say just pony up and get a blade bumper from Rockware (without the brush guard if you want the sleeker look like a factory bumper). Matt @ Rockware can do the blade bumper (or any bumper for that matter) with an integrated 2" receiver in it, as well as the recovery swivels on the side. I'm with you that I don't "mind" the look of the factory bumper, and if you go with a brushguard-less Rockware it actually retains that type of look (but looks even better imo).

Or yes, as you said, put that SG & bumper right back on! Those multi-mount Warns are much better served temp mounting on a rear 2" receiver, it's sort of impractical to be putting a winch on/off on the front with any sort of regularity....I'd say just leave it on or leave it off.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 24th, 2013, 08:32 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Im not sure how strong a stock bumper would be with just a receiver bolted to it. I don't think it would be winch worthy...? With some reinforcing/gussets etc the it could be made strong enough but at that point you could have just bought an off the shelf winch bumper or had one custom made.

there is this one, more stock lookingthan the SG..
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...371#post493371

~Steve
Old December 24th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobinson View Post
I've had a front end receiver on my RRCs, which bolted right to the frame ends where the bumper bolts on to. It was slightly larger so it fitted on the outside of the bumper mount on the frame. I had two of them, but unfortunetely got junked, as the vehicles were rusted, and the receivers were fairly rusted too.

I got these from a fellow friend, but I'm not sure where he had obtained them originally. It's a slightly different bolt on application than the one you listed, but the one you listed it's exactly what you'll want for the D90. I'm surprised at the prices for these things.
Sold my D1 front end receiver to Gavin when I went winch.

The RN Defender receiver was very different to the D1/RRC

http://c0007716.cdn2.cloudfiles.rack...ns/RNA085I.pdf

RRC/D1

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=RNA083

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 24th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Sold my D1 front end receiver to Gavin when I went winch.

The RN Defender receiver was very different to the D1/RRC

http://c0007716.cdn2.cloudfiles.rack...ns/RNA085I.pdf

RRC/D1

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=RNA083
pretty wild- first thing I have seen that uses the holes on the underside of the frame rail.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 2nd, 2015, 09:59 PM
proulx70
Paul S.
1997 NAS BRG Soft-Top
D-90 Source Vendor

Custom job by local shop

I just went to my local hitch-welding shop and had them do a custom job in the front. Turned out great I think. Burnished the bumper a little with the heat of the torch, but who cares? Used a place in the San Fernando Valley called Eckhart's. Think it was $385 all together and too them about 3 hours. Any reputable shop in your area should be able to give you what you need.

I'm using mine for a Warn Zeon 8-S in a basket unit so I can use it front and rear plus store it indoors so the sun doesn't destroy the nylon winch line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	122149   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-1 2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	122150  

Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:29 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Nice work there!
Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:30 AM
javelinadave
-
-

How/where does it tie into the frame?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hitch