Front End Shimmy - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 23rd, 2005, 11:17 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Front End Shimmy

Unfortunately, not talking about girls at the bar last nite...

Driving the truck on the road yesterday, I felt a "clunk" in the right front side. I start feeling a shimmy, mostly from the right front that gets a little worse with speed, and keep it at about 30mph.

Looking at it today, I don't see any leaks, anything broken or missing. No weights appear to have flown off the wheels.

Wheels seem to be stiff, but I haven't jacked it up yet. I have bent my track rod and drag link wheeling and the front end has been a little out of alignment. I can twist the drag link, which sorta surprises me. I would have thought that there should be a load on the ball joints preventing that.

Any other troubleshooting you might suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2005, 12:17 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Wheel bearings maybe, loose lug nuts?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:22 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Loose nut behind the wheel? (I had to) I'd put the truck on the lift and check to see that everything is tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2005, 09:04 PM
redrover

Do you drive in deep water much? Sounds like a bearing. Could the clunk have been a tire weight hitting the inside of the fender? Jack it up and try to wiggle the tire. If you have a grenaded bearing , it will be loose and not turn smoothly. If this is the case stop driving it , or you will shred the spindle. JP
Old July 24th, 2005, 08:14 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
do you hear any clicking when you turn the wheel? Could have broke a CV joint. IF its not the bearing I would take a look at that.
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:43 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Panhard Rod Bushings. Crawl under and have someone turn the wheel and look to see how much play you have in the eye of the bushings. I had a similar problem that got worse over time and spent TONS of money on bearings, suspension, alignment etc... in the end it turned out to be two small Panhard Rod bushings. Problem soved and feels like I am driving a brand new truck. Steering is tight and tracks great.
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:51 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

all the weights appear to be there.
the sound is the same whether straight ahead or turning and gets worse with speed

didn't have time to put the truck on a lift or to jack yet, so i can't speak to any play in the wheels

Kevin and Randy, I gotta show my ignorance again, but what are panhard bushings and where do I see them. How can I tell if bearings are shot? Pull out the shaft?
Old July 25th, 2005, 02:04 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Bearings may not be shot but just need tightening. If the bearings are loose you dont even need to lif the truck, just grab the top of the tire with both hands and push and pull against the tire, dont roll it, push and pull on the side.

The Panhard rod is part of your steering. One end will be connected to the front axle, on the front axle there are mounting points on the right and left side and depending on if your truck is RHD or LHD it will be mouted accordingly. It is infront of the axle. It is a fairly stout looking bar. The bushings are mounted in the eyes at both ends of the bare. If it is shot you will see the bolts in the eyes of the bushings move before the bar starts to move. Good luck.

Kevin
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:05 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Kevin, Thanks for those pointers. I'll check on Friday when I get home. I pushed/pulled on the wheel as you described before I left, and didn't notice any play. Will look again though. As for the panhard rod, is that the same as the drag link. One end attaches to a bracket attaching to the steering damper and the other end to the right side of axle. As I mentioned in my original post, I can easily twist that rod and I'm surprised. I would have thought there'd be enough load on that rod end bushing that one wouldn't be able to twist.
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:49 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Here is a pic of the panhard rod

Be aware that sometimes it's the bolt that's bad and not the bushing. The bolt rusts and gets pitted.

Hope this helps.
Old July 26th, 2005, 01:13 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Thanks John! A picture IS worth a million words. Also, that's a great way to remind yourself when to change oil! Never saw it before, but I think I'll adopt. I always forget where I write down the mileage
Old July 26th, 2005, 01:35 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

I used to write it on my hand ...
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:21 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

I finally got around to working on the truck today. I replaced teh right front wheel bearing, where the noise was coming from. The bearing I pulled out looked fine.

Replaced the bearing and no change.

I checked topped off the right pinion bearing, then checked the diff. The diff was overflowing! What up with that?

Here are some other symptoms: I feel a vibration, primarily from the right front, when under a load. Can't really drive over 40 MPH because the vibes are so bad.
The vibe isn't there when I coast, just when I've got power on. So I dont' think it's wheel weight and it's definitely not the bearing.

Is the pinion oil migrating down the axle to the diff? Is that a cause or symptom of my problem?
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:34 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Ken--

Your simptoms sound a little bit different than what I was experiencing, but I recently had the "death wobble" syndrome when I went over 50. I got the stabilizer and rods replaced and it runs great now. The stabilizer was completely shot and I figured I would get the rods done at the same time. It was a bit costly but I figured driving straight was one of those things I would rather pay a few bucks for and be safe.

Tom
Old October 1st, 2005, 08:44 PM
redrover

Hi ken, The pinion is part of the differential. Why do you think the vib is coming from the rt front? Gear oil will over flow if you have been taking in water. Do you like mud holes? Another place to look for vibes is the drive shaft u-joints. You could hear a clunk if a cup grenaded . Also jack up front end with the High low selector in Neutral. Spin a tire and what happens . Does the opp tire spin the opp direction? That would be good. Any grinding? That would be bad. I bet you have a bad u joint . JP
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:36 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

I can feel the vibes from the right front.

The right front pinion housing took a lot of oil to refill. I'm pretty sure I filled it recently. The oil in the diff is pretty dark. I mean it looks like it's just oil, not mixture of water/oil. Those things combined made me wonder if the oil was migrating from the pinion housing to the diff (but only from the right pinion housing). Now I may be totally off. Haven't worked on the diff/axle before, so I don't know if this is possible.

JP, I'll check the wheel spinning thing and let you know. Grinding? There was some when I first noticed the problem. If you read up higher on the thread, you'll see my comments.

I'm hoping this is something easy because I'd like to go to MAR next weekend..
Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:03 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Not long ago I had some driveline vibration and it turned out to be a loose drive shaft. Check the bolts. Also check the panhrd rod bushings.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:02 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

I should have checked those things while I had the truck on the rack. Thinking back on it, I should have pulled out the CV joint too. On that topic, besides Randy, anyone else think the symptoms sound like a CV joint? Only a few days to fix this before MAR...

Are the U-joints "standard" parts that I could get from any auto parts store?
One thing I was thinking about to troubleshoot would be to remove the front driveshaft and drive around for a while. If it's still bad, then the problem would be in the steering or in the wheels. If it goes away, it's in the drivetrain, and u joint or CV. Does that sound right?
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:27 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

The U-joints you can get from NAPA. Is there a clicking comming from the front that is really noticeable when turning?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:43 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

yes Pull the Driveshaft and drive it, if the vib is gone change both U-joints I belive they are percision #344, they are only $20 or so at NAPA, get some extras for when they break on the trail.

If it is not the DS then I would look at the suspension parts as suggested. And you keep calling the swivel a pinion, the pinion is the pointy end of the Diff that the driveshaft connects too. I bet when it took allot to fill the swivel the seal between the swivel and the diff is bad and letting the 2 mix, this is fine as long as the oil is good and it won't cause vibrations.

You know my # if I'm not comming through clearly here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions