Front End Shimmy - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:36 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Mike, Thanks for correcting me on the pinion/swivel. You're right, I was talking about the swivel.

I pulled out the driveshaft and drove around. Exact same symptoms. (I guess that rules out loose driveshaft bolts and U-joints)
Jacked the front end, and with selector in neutral, turning one wheel one direction causes the other to turn in the opposite direction. No grinding, clunking.
Turned the front wheels as if steering (with truck jacked up) and didn't feel any play in the panhard rod bushings. Would I only recognize play in those bearings if I was steering from the driver's seat rather than turning the wheels by hand?
How could I recognize failed CV joints?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:56 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
To properly check the panhard rod bushings is a two person job. You need to be under the truck visualy inspecting the bushing while someone else turns the wheel. You will see the bolt move inside the bushing before the rod starts to move. Dont jack up the front end when you do it, having the resistance of the wheels on the ground will make the bolt movement in the bushing more exagerated. If the bushing is only mildly shot, having the truck jacked up may make it hard to identify the suspect bushing due to the low resistance.
Good luck.

Kevin
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:04 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Kevin has the bushing checking meathode down good But if you don't have 2 people try tightening all the bolts, sometimes they work themselfs loose. But if you can get someone to turn the wheel back and forth, look at every connection point, look to see that the wheels are both turning at the same time. Also put a wrench on the upper radius arm bolt and give it a twist back and forth, it shouldn't move very much at all.

Most of the time CVs click when cornering if they are bad. When you turned one wheel and the other turned the other way that means the diff is open (not locked) and working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:38 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Got some help with the turning the steering wheel and the panhard bushings, both ends of the panhard rod, are tight. No movement at all. All the other bolts seem tight as well.

I don't notice clicking when turning.

I have previously bent the track rod and did my best to bend back into shape. It's been rubbing against the guide on the back side of the differential. I removed the guide and it's riding a bit more smoothly. I think I'll play around with the alignment tomorrow, maybe even take someone's original advice and have the tire balanced....

Any other ideas?
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:42 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Swap out with the spare tire if it might be unbalanced. Are the tires both turning at the same time?
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:58 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Try putting the front tires on the back and back tires on the front. Does the vibe move to the back?
If you did lose a weight, how would you know??? I dont believe there will be a mark or any other indication that it was attached. Just another thought.
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:03 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Success! And I learned a ton from the whole troubleshooting process.

And the winner is.....JP, with honorable mention to Kelly. It was the REAR driveshaft u-joint. Mechs at Roverland (on Eisenhower in Alexandria) helped me diagnose. Good to have a pro.

I've always been thinking that the vibes were coming from the front, but in fact they were in the rear and were being transmitted all the way forward, and felt in the steering. I pulled the front driveshaft, but should have pulled the rear too and I would have found the real cause earlier. (and avoided unnecessarily replacing the front wheel bearing) Never would have thought that myself, and should have listed to JP.

One other thing I'd offer as advice: if you're replacing brake rotors, replace the bearings at the same time. As long as you're there, it's not that much more time (and the cost of the bearings aren't that expensive).
Old April 11th, 2006, 11:08 PM
bbandit
William Baker
1997 Defender 90

I just had the panhard rod bushings replaced on my 97 d-90. wobble is gone. I would guess that's what our problem is also.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions