Front End Rattle - Advice? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 13th, 2015, 08:11 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Front End Rattle - Advice?

So I started out with a death wobble a couple months ago. Turned out to be the panrod bushings. Then it came back a couple weeks ago. Have just replaced both bearings in the front wheels and all 3 ball joints. Also adjusted swivel ball tension as mine was at "0". Other than "loose" steering the wobble is completely gone (plan to look at the steering box adjustment to take are of that soon).
But what I have noticed is a rather loud rattle in the front end. I also noticed that when I hit the brakes it goes away (and when I release it comes right back). If I drive with my foot very slightly applying the brake - no rattle. So I assumed something with the brakes. Have checked and everything seems tight and sound. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2015, 09:50 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Warped front rotors and missing or defective pad anti rattle spring hardware.
Old January 14th, 2015, 09:57 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Ok, thanks. Will pull the pads this weekend and have a look and see if the anit-vibration pad on them is gone. I can see that the hardware holding them in place is fine.
As for warped rotors, I thought you would always feel those through the brake pedal when you apply the brakes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2015, 06:52 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Worn out brake pads
Old January 15th, 2015, 07:31 AM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Probably not related but found my latest rattle is from the metal radiator expansion tank.seems the bracket is painfully inadequate ..any fix for this?

Cheers, tim
Old January 15th, 2015, 09:03 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Besides the anti-rattle pins and springs also check that the caliper retaining bolts are still tight. You had to remove the calipers to replace the bearings in the hub. Did you properly secure the spindle nut with the metal washer? That will cause noises too. As for the steering box, you can try to adjust some play out of it but it usually isn't very effective. Will Tillery sells a new box for a fair price as I understand it. I'll be looking for one soon to replace the worn out unit in my '90 rrc.
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:52 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Turns out the pads and rotors were fine, but hardware kit was really worn out. Replaced the hardware,applied some anti-squeak red spray to the back of the pads and problem gone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
advice, rattle