front end 'clunk' when braking.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 27th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253
front end 'clunk' when braking..

I'm getting an annoying clunk - actually two clunks, which I can hear and feel in the brake pedal, when coming to a stop.

This occurs not long before the vehicle stops moving - it does not happen when initially braking, so it appears to happen as things 'unload' and the vehicle re-orients itself (instead of being lunged forward during braking). This happens even at moderate speeds.

There are two noises - the first sounds more like a 'clack', the second like a 'clunk'. If I smoothly decelerate towards a stop I can almost anticipate when it will happen now.

All the front suspension bushings, as well as tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, and other obvious wear components have been replaced (and some were pretty bad). I had a torn motor mount and replaced both of them as well.

It feels tighter now, but still gives me this one-two clack-clunk.

The trailing arm bushings were also replaced, and I've got the rear A-arm ball joint and bushings which I haven't installed yet. However, this problem 'feels' and sounds like it's coming from up front.

I haven't touched the transmission mount, nor looked into U-joints or the swivels - I don't know if these could be the source of these noises.

Any other ideas?

I dream of the day I can just drive this thing and not have to fix stuff... I'm still paying for buying something online from a real sheister without a proper inspection.

Old September 27th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
Even though it was all just replaced I would put a wrench on everything and try tightening it up. Did you use OEM Land rover bushings? There have been some problems with new non OEM trailing arm bushings breaking in a very short time.

If you think it is drive train related pull the front driveshaft and take it for a spinn. If it is still there remove the flanges from the hubs and try again. That would rull out the front axle and driveshaft.

Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Radius Arms

check your radius arms...jack the wheels up and see how much play is in the back of the arm.
Old September 29th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
You also need to check the 12-point bolts that hold on the brake calipers. You'll have a seat-pinching experience if you lose one of those while attempting to stop.

If the top bolt is loose you'll feel it more under recovery as you say, if the bottom bolt is loose, then you'll feel it when you apply the brakes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions