Front Diff Opinions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 14th, 2011, 05:49 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Front Diff Opinions

So I've been working on a Toy conversion for the rear end of the 90 after stocking up parts for over a year (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25530) So far that is going pretty well and it got a bit of a test this weekend at RC. Keith's kit @ Rovingtracks is a nice bit and once I get a disengagement issue sorted it should be good to go on street/trail for a while.

My issue is the front diff. My original plan was to use an ARB 3rd that we thought had 4.10 gearing but turned out to have 3.54's. So at this point I have a 3.54 diff with an ARB carrier, 4.12 Ashcrofts from Justin @ Lucky8, and the stock open diff that's in the truck now.

Tires are 285 SSR's but eventually I might go skinny 35" SSR's or 315/75 KM2's/MTRs.

Option 1: Swap the gearing in the ARB diff and then look to add: hosing, air supply, extra wiring and potentially new axles. Pros: Locked front end and an air supply for airing tires or running air tools. Cons: Cost - already in at $1,300 and would need to add: gear change fee, hosing and wiring for front diff, ARB compressor and axles - quick guess is another $1000 - $1,200 At this point, Keith's Toy Front conversion at $1,800 would have been a cheaper/stronger move.

Option 2: Try to sell the ARB diff with 3.54's gears to someone that wants to keep stock gears but add a locked rear and recoup some of the costs. Then get the 4.12 gears swapped into the open front diff and keep things simple with stock shafts and carrier. Pros: Simple, much cheaper (might be able to keep the overall spend bleed to under a grand) Cons: The Ashcroft R&P looks to be strong as shit, but I could have issues with the carrier and the axle shafts. I won't have an air supply but I haven't needed one since I started wheeling this truck anyways. And there is the CO2 air option as well.

So what do people think of just running a locker in the rear? Or is the stock Rover stuff too weak that upgrading up front is a necessity. I've been wheeling with the 90 for the past few years I've owned it. Up until this past weekend, it was with the stock axles. I don't do anything radical and go out as much as I can but that only works out to about 3-6x year.

Thanks in advance and would love to hear any and all opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2011, 06:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Toy front and be done with it. Sell off the 3.54 ARB and ask for a refund to whoeever sold you it as having 4.10s.
Old November 14th, 2011, 06:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
How much are you looking to get for the arb
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2011, 09:24 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Toy front and be done with it. Sell off the 3.54 ARB and ask for a refund to whoeever sold you it as having 4.10s.
Yeah, might take me a while to do the Toy front but so far I'm very happy with how the rear went. Comparing the Toy axles to the Rover ones is night and day. One plus, is that I can get a Disco axle and then pick away at it/get the parts so it's not wicked expensive all at once. I could just run the front open'd and drive the truck in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
How much are you looking to get for the arb
Sent you a PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions